Posted to user@commons.apache.org by nathan phillips <na...@hotmail.com> on 2003/11/10 17:26:52 UTC

Jelly Questions

I successfully used Jelly last year in a project and am looking to use it
once again in a new project.  I was wondering what the status of Jelly as a
project is.  Is it alive?

More importantly I have a question in regards to the API
JellyContext.runScript.  I would like to dynamically create a Jelly script
that I can either pass in as a Document (dom4j or w3c) or a simple String to
the JellyContext to execute.  From the runScript API it appears I can only
pass in a reference (File or URL) to a file located on disk.  Is there
anyway to dynamically build up a script and have Jelly execute it without
writing one to disk?  Thanks.

Re: Jelly Questions

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@ags.uni-sb.de>.
On Lundi, nove 10, 2003, at 17:26 Europe/Paris, nathan phillips wrote:

> I successfully used Jelly last year in a project and am looking to use
> it once again in a new project.  I was wondering what the status of
> Jelly as a project is.  Is it alive?

Yes, kind of...

> More importantly I have a question in regards to the API
> JellyContext.runScript.  I would like to dynamically create a Jelly
> script that I can either pass in as a Document (dom4j or w3c) or a
> simple String to the JellyContext to execute.  From the runScript API
> it appears I can only pass in a reference (File or URL) to a file
> located on disk.  Is there anyway to dynamically build up a script and
> have Jelly execute it without writing one to disk?  Thanks.

Well, you should always be able to pass-in an InputSource with a reader
in there that would read your string. The reason you need file or URL
is that you need (well, you MAT beed) a system-Id in order to resolver
relative references...

But exercuting jelly from a DOM4j (or just a jelly-output) would make
sense, it's not just not made yet. I am not clear yet wether it's so
easy...

Paul

Re: Jelly Questions

Posted by Daryl Stultz <da...@6degrees.com>.
"Jakarta Commons Users List" <co...@jakarta.apache.org> writes:
>> More importantly I have a question in regards to the API
>> JellyContext.runScript.  I would like to dynamically create a Jelly
>script
>> that I can either pass in as a Document (dom4j or w3c) or a simple
>String to
>> the JellyContext to execute.
>
>None at the moment, but it is an often asked for, much desired feature.

Here's a method to do so that someone here helped me with:

	public Script compileScriptFromString(JellyContext context, String
scriptString) throws Throwable {
		XMLParser parser = new XMLParser();
		parser.setContext(context);
		Reader in = new java.io.StringReader(scriptString);
		Script script = null;
		try {
			script = parser.parse(in);
		} catch (IOException e) {
			throw new JellyException("Could not parse Jelly script",e);
		} catch (SAXException e) {
			throw new JellyException("Could not parse Jelly script",e);
		}
		try {in.close();} catch (IOException ex) {}
		return script.compile();
	}
Daryl Stultz

Re: Jelly Questions

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Jelly is very much alive.

It doesn't get the TLC it deserves, but we're getting there.

"nathan phillips" <na...@hotmail.com> wrote on 11/11/2003 03:26:52 AM:

> I successfully used Jelly last year in a project and am looking to use
it
> once again in a new project.  I was wondering what the status of Jelly
as a
> project is.  Is it alive?
>
> More importantly I have a question in regards to the API
> JellyContext.runScript.  I would like to dynamically create a Jelly
script
> that I can either pass in as a Document (dom4j or w3c) or a simple
String to
> the JellyContext to execute.  From the runScript API it appears I can
only
> pass in a reference (File or URL) to a file located on disk.  Is there
> anyway to dynamically build up a script and have Jelly execute it
without
> writing one to disk?  Thanks.
None at the moment, but it is an often asked for, much desired feature.

I know Mike Bowler wanted it for HtmlUnit too.

If you've got a patch for JellyContext, I'd be happy to check it out and
apply it.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting