Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Aji Janis <aj...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/27 15:10:25 UTC

Waiting for accumulo to be initialized

Hello,

We have the following set up:

zookeeper - 3.3.3-1073969
hadoop - 0.20.203.0
accumulo - 1.4.2

Our zookeeper crashed for some reason. I tried to doing a clean stop of
everything and then brought up (in order) zookeeper and hadoop (cluster).
But when trying to do a start-all on accumulo I get the following message
gets infinitely printed to the screen:

“26 12:45:43,551 [server.Accumulo] INFO : Waiting for accumulo to be
initialized”

Doing some digging on the web it seems that accumulo is hosed and needs
some re-intialization. It also appears that may be I need to clean out
things from zookeeper and hadoop prior to a re-initialization. Has any one
done this before? Can someone please provide me some directions on what to
do (or not to do)? Really appreciate help on this. Thanks.

Re: Waiting for accumulo to be initialized

Posted by Aji Janis <aj...@gmail.com>.
Actually, this guide explains that running ./hadoop namenode -format would
cause this issue
http://www.michael-noll.com/tutorials/running-hadoop-on-ubuntu-linux-multi-node-cluster/#javaioioexception-incompatible-namespaceids

Posted by Aji Janis <aj...@gmail.com>.
Krishmin,

Thank you for the response. Its always great to hear from someone who has
tried out the steps (even if you had a different issue). Like you said I am
not really sure what caused the crash in our evn in the first place but
having a plan is always good...

Thanks again all,
Aji

Posted by Krishmin Rai <kr...@missionfoc.us>.
Hi Aji,
I wrote the original question linked below (about re-initing Accumulo over an existing installation).  For what it's worth, I believe that my ZooKeeper data loss was related to the linux+java leap second bug -- not likely to be affecting you now (I did not go back and attempt to re-create the issue, so it's also possible there were other compounding issues). We have not encountered any ZK data-loss problems since.

Posted by Aji Janis <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aji Janis <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aji Janis <aj...@gmail.com>.
Well, it was a test data so saving it wasn't high priority but a 'nice to
have'. Prior to asking the question here, I checked out this blog
http://apache-accumulo.1065345.n5.nabble.com/Re-init-Accumulo-over-existing-installation-td345.html
.
So I knew data would be lost.

The reason I ask about saving data is because we are not quite sure why
zookeeper got hosed in the first place and if this issue happened in Prod I
like to have some suggestions handy for saving data.

Responding inline...
Zookeeper crashing (or even `kill -9`ing) should have no effect on Hadoop.
Did Hadoop come up correctly before you tried to restart Accumulo?
-- Yes.

Did you then do the `hadoop namenode -format` and expect to keep your data?
If so, lesson learned?
-- Prior to trying hadoop reformat (since I knew it be destructive) I tried
zookeeper to stop cleanly - hoping that might clean up something - clearly
not. I am fairly new to this so definitely lesson learned.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
First off, I'm sorry about you losing data. I thought you recognized
that this would be destructive on your data reading that link you sent
out. I wasn't really advising you from a "saving data" standpoint.

Zookeeper crashing (or even `kill -9`ing) should have no effect on
Hadoop. Did Hadoop come up correctly before you tried to restart
Accumulo? Did you then do the `hadoop namenode -format` and expect to

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Just remove the directories configured for dfs.name.dir and dfs.data.dir
and run the `hadoop namenode -format` again.

Posted by Aji Janis <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aji Janis <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.