Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/20 17:04:15 UTC

Writing Installer for James

Ok I wrote this depicting automation of some aspects of the install for james:

http://techpanacea.blogspot.com/2008/07/writing-install-utility-for-james-java.html

It needs to be refined but any help from all would be great!!

Re: Writing Installer for James

Posted by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com>.
Thats it? No other word on this? Back to usual?

We can go with Ole's suggestion if this is too problematic.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
I'm replying only to server-dev (crossposting is bad as pleople
subscribed to both list will receive the message twice).

Please subscribe to the server-dev list if you plan to deal with
developing aspects.

Athar Shiraz Siddiqui ha scritto:
> If you look at apache web server's windows installer :
> http://ftp.wayne.edu/apache/httpd/binaries/win32/apache_2.2.9-win32-x86-no_ssl-r2.msi
>
> Click on "next" after opening the file... you will see that they are
> using Installshield.

Thank you! Interesting.
I wonder if they obtained an Apache wide / HTTPD PMC wide license for
the product or how they dealt with this. We may ask them!

> That is go to http://www.installshield.com/
> that is also a commercial product just like setupbuilder.

The problem with apache is that to be able to release something from
apache the release manager need the tool to make the release.
Not every release manager use windows at all, and none of them has a
license of this commercial products, so we have to understand how other
Apache projects dealt with this.

Thank you,
Stefano

Posted by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com>.
I appreciate your suggestion but I think we should try to do things
the apache way -using installshield FIRST and then if there are
hurdles we should go with this NSIS installer. Unless someone has any
objections to this.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
I checked httpd people to understand how they do this.

The fact is that what they care is about sources: they release sources.
The installer they ship is simply something they do "unrelated to the
release" and is done by some committer having windows and a license for
the tool.

In this case we'll not be able to publish a windows installer from
apache james because none of the active committers have access to this
commercial tool.

I've got pointers to the WIX project (microsoft sponsored open source
project for creating installers starting from XML files) but this would
require a releaser using windows to publish it.

Otherwise there are java installers, that are crossplatform.

 From what I understood the only solution to create native windows
installers from both unixes and window is to use NSIS because their
compiler is crossplatform.

That's all I found by now,
Stefano

Posted by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com>.