Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ben Wylie <sa...@benwylie.co.uk> on 2006/11/01 19:25:35 UTC

Compromised computer IP list downloadable?

Obviously there are many different DNS block lists and some of these are
specifically for blocking compromised computers used as drones to send
spam. However I have experienced a massive attack on my server by some
bot network, trying to send spam through my server, and i would like to
be able to download a list of ip addresses or ranges of ip addresses to
plug into a firewall to block all of this traffic automatically.

Is there such a list, or is this kind of service only available from DNS
block lists?
Thanks
Ben

Re: Compromised computer IP list downloadable?

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 10:25:35 AM, Ben Wylie wrote:
> Obviously there are many different DNS block lists and some of these are
> specifically for blocking compromised computers used as drones to send
> spam. However I have experienced a massive attack on my server by some
> bot network, trying to send spam through my server, and i would like to
> be able to download a list of ip addresses or ranges of ip addresses to
> plug into a firewall to block all of this traffic automatically.

> Is there such a list, or is this kind of service only available from DNS
> block lists?
> Thanks
> Ben

There are various lists that attempt to map out bad-guy-space,
but if there were one perfect list of compromised computers,
don't you think we would all be using it to block spam and
attacks?

That's a rhetorical question, not a criticism of your question.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: Compromised computer IP list downloadable?

Posted by Stuart Johnston <st...@ebby.com>.
Ben Wylie wrote:
> Obviously there are many different DNS block lists and some of these are
> specifically for blocking compromised computers used as drones to send
> spam. However I have experienced a massive attack on my server by some
> bot network, trying to send spam through my server, and i would like to
> be able to download a list of ip addresses or ranges of ip addresses to
> plug into a firewall to block all of this traffic automatically.
>
> Is there such a list, or is this kind of service only available from DNS
> block lists?

Spamhaus has the DROP (Don't Route Or Peer) list which is specifically intended for use on routers
and firewalls.  It is fairly small though so it may not help in your situation.

http://www.spamhaus.org/drop/