Posted to dev@tez.apache.org by Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org> on 2015/05/15 19:50:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop Java 6 support in 0.8

Java 6 support ended quite a while ago. Trying to support it gets in the
way of using libraries which may work with Java 7 only (Netty for example
in TEZ-2450). I think we should move Tez 0.8 to work with Java 7 as the
minimum version. Thoughts ?

Thanks
- Sid

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Java 6 support in 0.8

Posted by Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Gopal and Hitesh for the info.All data showed, we should  do it.Strong +1.
Regards,Mohammad

     On Friday, May 15, 2015 3:24 PM, Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org> wrote:

 +1 on dropping 1.6 support from 0.8.0 onwards.

@Mohammad, Hadoop is dropping support for 1.6 from 2.7.0 onwards. I am guessing other ecosystem projects will soon follow suit.

— Hitesh

Posted by Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>.
Doing a quick search - Hadoop 2.2 and beyond seem to work with Java 7 (
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopJavaVersions). Vendors have been
shipping with Java 7 support for quite some time. That should take care of
allowing Tez with Hadoop 2.2 libraries to work on older clusters, unless
the users are still on Java 6 - in which case 0.8.0 would not be supported.

In terms of Hadoop versions supported, I think it'll be useful to have a
separate discussion on which versions we want to support. There's been a
fair amount of grief from ATS integration, builds breaking against older
versions, etc.

Thanks
- Sid

Posted by Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the input folks. I'll go ahead and get started on making the
necessary changes.

Posted by Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>.
Hi Hitesh,

Posted by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>.
Hi Hitesh,

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
https://twitter.com/sadserver/status/593816908534714368

--
Sorry this was sent from mobile. Will do less grammar and spell check than
usual.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Java 6 support in 0.8

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prakash Ramachandran <pr...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Prakash Ramachandran <pr...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rohini Palaniswamy <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Rohini Palaniswamy <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>.
+1

fwiw, Cascading 3 is using JDK 1.7 language features, and is tested on JDK 1.8 nightly.

ckw

> On May 15, 2015, at 2:57 PM, Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> +1 here.
>
> PIG & Hive are JDK7 targetVersions.
>
> https://github.com/apache/pig/blob/trunk/build.xml#L64
>
> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/master/pom.xml#L616
>

> Flink & Spark have JDK8 code in them via activation.
>
> From earlier mails, I remember seeing only JDK7 bugs reported for Tez so
> far.
>
> Datameer also recommends JDK 1.7, IBM Big Insights uses JDK 1.7. Hadapt
> had /opt/teradata/jvm64/jdk7.
>
> HDInsight uses JDK7 Zulu (AFAIK, there¹s also a 1.8 Zulu available on A1).
>
> So I feel like we¹re well past the chasm here.
>
> Cheers,
> Gopal
>
> On 5/15/15, 2:16 PM, "Mohammad Islam" <mi...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sid,What are the statuses of other Hadoop projects?
>> Overall, I'm +1 on this.Regards,Mohammad
>>

>>    On Friday, May 15, 2015 10:57 AM, Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Java 6 support ended quite a while ago. Trying to support it gets in the
>> way of using libraries which may work with Java 7 only (Netty for example
>> in TEZ-2450). I think we should move Tez 0.8 to work with Java 7 as the
>> minimum version. Thoughts ?
>> Thanks- Sid

—
Chris K Wensel
chris@wensel.net

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Java 6 support in 0.8

Posted by Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>.
+1

fwiw, Cascading 3 is using JDK 1.7 language features, and is tested on JDK 1.8 nightly.

ckw

> On May 15, 2015, at 2:57 PM, Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> +1 here.
>
> PIG & Hive are JDK7 targetVersions.
>
> https://github.com/apache/pig/blob/trunk/build.xml#L64
>
> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/master/pom.xml#L616
>

> Flink & Spark have JDK8 code in them via activation.
>
> From earlier mails, I remember seeing only JDK7 bugs reported for Tez so
> far.
>
> Datameer also recommends JDK 1.7, IBM Big Insights uses JDK 1.7. Hadapt
> had /opt/teradata/jvm64/jdk7.
>
> HDInsight uses JDK7 Zulu (AFAIK, there¹s also a 1.8 Zulu available on A1).
>
> So I feel like we¹re well past the chasm here.
>
> Cheers,
> Gopal
>
> On 5/15/15, 2:16 PM, "Mohammad Islam" <mi...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sid,What are the statuses of other Hadoop projects?
>> Overall, I'm +1 on this.Regards,Mohammad
>>

>>    On Friday, May 15, 2015 10:57 AM, Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Java 6 support ended quite a while ago. Trying to support it gets in the
>> way of using libraries which may work with Java 7 only (Netty for example
>> in TEZ-2450). I think we should move Tez 0.8 to work with Java 7 as the
>> minimum version. Thoughts ?
>> Thanks- Sid

—
Chris K Wensel
chris@wensel.net

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Java 6 support in 0.8

Posted by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>.