Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Quintin Beukes <qu...@last.za.net> on 2009/09/29 12:00:14 UTC

Geronimo Book

Hey,

For anyone interested, this book together with the docs, help me a lot
these days:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/SG247639.html

I haven't seen it linked on the Geronimo docs (compared to Aaron
Mulder's book which is linked there).

Quintin Beukes

Re: Geronimo Book

Posted by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com>.
Quintin Beukes wrote:
> Hey,
>
> For anyone interested, this book together with the docs, help me a lot
> these days:
> http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/SG247639.html
>
> I haven't seen it linked on the Geronimo docs (compared to Aaron
> Mulder's book which is linked there).
>
> Quintin Beukes

Quintin,
This is the WebSphere Community Edition 2.1 redbook but it is a really
great resource for Geronimo users.

WAS CE 2.1.1.3 is built from Geronimo 2.1.4 + some additional patches
from Geronimo trunk.  Significant differences between CE and G: a) Logos
on in the admin console changed from 'Geronimo' to 'CE'  b) CE uses
Tomcat/Axis (rather than Jetty/CXF). In other words, not much technical
difference.   If you're the guy carrying the pager, you will also
appreciate that an annually renewable IBM support contract for CE gives
you access to stable service stream support (access to critical
security/bug fixes w/o a bunch of new stuff creeping in that could
destabilize your production environment).  CE service streams last 3
years and can be extended on request.

Some other resources...
a) Most of the CE documentation is developed and generated directly from
the Geronimo wiki pages... collected into the usual IBM format and
translated into multiple languages:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/wasce/Front_en.html

b) There's a Websphere community edition forum on IBM Developerworks
that can be useful:

    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=541

c) The WAS CE team also maintains a 'CHANGES' file with each CE release.
If you are familiar with the CHANGES file maintained by Apache HTTP
Server  project (http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/CHANGES_2.2.13) the CE
CHANGES file should not look too foreign.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/wasce/changes/2113/CHANGES.txt

d) wasce.org (redirects to an IBM devworks space) - various stuff I
maintain.  Want to see something here, let me know.

Bill