Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au> on 2003/02/06 16:49:15 UTC

[Fwd: RE: Fop ALT-Design]

Would those of you who are much better versed in these things please
reply to the outstanding portions of Hans Kappert's letter, most of
which is included below.  I have already advised him to subscribe to
fop-user and I have apologised for my delay in replying.

Thanks.

Peter

-------- (part of) Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Fop ALT-Design
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:00:41 +0100
From: Hans Kappert <h....@co-maker.nl>
To: 'Peter B. West' <pb...@powerup.com.au>

Peter,

Thank you for your quick reply. Of course, you may CC your reply to
fop-dev. Will they mail me or do I have to monitor a mailing list?

I will evaluate release 0.20.5.

Regards,

Hans

--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"

Re: [Fwd: RE: Fop ALT-Design]

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Peter B. West wrote:
>  > Hans Kappert wrote:
>  > > - Is it a good idea to split the XML file into smaller bits
>  > and issue
>  > > multiple FOP requests?

It depends.

>  > > - If so, how big is a good maximum for a server with 1GB
>  > internal memory.

I'd say some 900M but you can experiment: write a small Java program
which allocates a hunk of memory (using new byte[size] and zero it),
then null the pointer and start over with a larger allocation size,
using, say, 10MB steps. Use the system monitor to detect when excessive
swapping sets in. Dont forget to preload any other services you'll
expect to run and keep them busy. Add 50M or so as safety margin.

>  > > - When the FOP handles two requests simultaneously (using
>  > two threads),
>  > > does the JVM need two times as much memory with the -Xmx
>  > option
If you are past the allocation of 256M, then basically yes.

>  > > - If so, can we prevent the servlet runner (Tomcat) from
>  > starting more
>  > > threads when requests keep coming in?

Put the actual PDF rendering into a sync'd static routine of
your servlet or use a singleton, as usual. Look into any book
covering Java MT programming in somewhat more depth than the
usual "Java in three days".

J.Pietschmann