Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Raquel V. Lopes" <ra...@dsc.ufcg.edu.br> on 2004/01/15 20:51:03 UTC

[users@httpd] how to get the number of connections received?

Hello,
do you know any tool that counts the number of requests received by the http server? By analysing the access log I can discover the number of requests processed, but not the total number of requests received.
Thanks a lot,
Raquel

Re: [users@httpd] how to get the number of connections received?

Posted by do...@netnevada.net.
Quoting Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Raquel V. Lopes wrote:
> > do you know any tool that counts the number of requests received by the
> > http server? By analysing the access log I can discover the number of
> > requests processed, but not the total number of requests received.
>
> I think you need to be more specific.

I think he is looking for a graph of how many hits per second, etc the web
server gets.  I use a package called apache-mrtg for just this, and it
requires that server-status and ExtendedStatus be enabled.  The package
will graph the following items:

CPU Load, Uptime, Total # of Accesses, Total Kilobytes Transferred,
Requests Per Second, Bytes Per Second, Bytes Per Request, Child
Status (busy + idle servers), Busy Servers, and Idle Servers

It is useful to see how your web server is performing, etc.

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] how to get the number of connections received?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Raquel V. Lopes wrote:

> I'd like to compare the number of requests received by the server with the
> number of requests really processed by it.
> Let me give an example:
> - I have a traffic generator that is generating a variable load of 10
> requests per second (rps) in average;
> - When the server becomes saturated it will not process some of the requests
> received.
> I'd like to now how many requests were lost...

I'll repeat: apache processes every request it receives.

If there are no child threads/processes available to serve a request when
it comes in, the request is queued *by the OS* up to the limit of
ListenBackLog:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#listenbacklog

If the ListenBackLog gets filled up, the OS drops the connections without
apache ever seeing them.  Since apache never sees these requests, there is
no way it can count them.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] how to get the number of connections received?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.