Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Sharma, Siddharth" <Si...@Staples.com> on 2006/07/31 23:06:25 UTC

clustering problem

Hi

We have a 4 machine configuration.
Each machine has:
1. 3 Tomcat instances (so total 12 instances)
2. 1 Apache with mod_jk (so total 4 Apaches)

The Apaches/mod_jks are fronted by a hardware load balancer.
Each mod_jk load balances across all 12 tomcats.
In other words, you could hit any one of the four Apaches/mod_jks and get
load balanced to any one of the 12 tomcats. Once you hit one tomcat, you are
sticky to it.
All this works, but I am wondering if there is a way to do tomcat instance
targeting.
In other words, indicate to mod_jk that the request should be sent to a
specific tomcat instance.
This is useful to check if each instance is up and accepting.
I am not worried about DoS since a proxy sits between the client and the
Apaches that maintains the jsessionid cookie for the client and does not
accept it from the client.

Any ideas?
Thanks
-Sidd

Re: clustering problem

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Have a look at our new version mod_jk 1.2.18, especially at the worker
attribute "distance". This should be used in combination with an lb
worker. It enables you to define preferences.

If you want to route to different tomcats for probing, configure
jvmRoute on the Tomcats (most likely you already did this) and then send
a request like:

/my-probe;jsessionid=dummy.my_jvmroute

(with no cookie sent)

This request will be routed to the worker with name/jvm_route "my_jvmroute".

Is that what you were looking for?

Regards,

Rainer

RE: clustering problem

Posted by MW Janssen <ma...@bedrijven.nl>.

I have a question of the architecture you created..i am interseting in it.
Do you have a document how you did this?

thx

Maarten