Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Graham Klyne <GK...@ninebynine.org> on 2005/10/10 22:30:01 UTC

Setting up Pluto unit tests to run under Eclipse

Hi,

I'm fishing for some hints and pointers for running the Pluto unit tests
within Eclipse.

I've managed to install Pluto and run the tests successfully (modulo a
couple of comments noted at
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PLUTO-172) using Maven.

I've also managed to import Pluto into Eclipse, and get it to compile,
apparently compiles fine.  But I'm getting a bit lost trying to run the
unit tests from within Eclipse.  From my notes:
[[
Now I try to run unit tests under Eclipse.  The only one that shows any
sign of working is pluto-descriptors, which reports a number of failures
(as well as some successes, so there's some progress).  I think one
problem may be a failure to read portlet.xml, possibly due to an
incorrect working directory, but I couldn't be sure.
]]

Failing tests are:
  portlet.CastorMappingTest
  services.impl.AbstractPortletAppDescriptorServiceTest
  servlet.CastorMappingTest

Succeeding tests are:
  servlet.WebAppDDTest
  portlet.PortletAppDDTest

In the Eclipse package explorer window I highlight the pluto-descriptors
package, then  select menu commands "Run -> Run as -> JUnit test".  If I
try the same for pluto or pluto-portal package, I get "No tests found";
for "pluto-deploy" or "testsuite" packages I get "Cannot find class
junit.framework.testcase on the build path".

I'm not sure where to look to figure out what's happening here.  I
suspect there's something simple I'm doing wrong when running the tests
I'm still coming up to speed on Pluto and Maven, and also catching up
with the latest version of Eclipse, so my lack of understanding could be
anywhere in the mix.

#g
--

Stack trace from testing PortletDescriptors:
[[
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.exolab.castor.mapping.Mapping.loadMapping(Mapping.java:427)
    at
org.apache.pluto.descriptors.services.impl.AbstractPortletAppDescriptorService.getCastorMapping(AbstractPortletAppDescriptorService.java:128)
    at
org.apache.pluto.descriptors.services.impl.AbstractCastorDescriptorService.readInternal(AbstractCastorDescriptorService.java:65)
    at
org.apache.pluto.descriptors.services.impl.AbstractPortletAppDescriptorService.read(AbstractPortletAppDescriptorService.java:81)
    at
org.apache.pluto.descriptors.portlet.CastorMappingTest.testUnmarshalWebXml(CastorMappingTest.java:47)
    at
    at
    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:478)
    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:344)
    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:196)
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.exolab.castor.mapping.Mapping.loadMapping(Mapping.java:427)
    at
org.apache.pluto.descriptors.services.impl.AbstractPortletAppDescriptorService.getCastorMapping(AbstractPortletAppDescriptorService.java:128)
    at
org.apache.pluto.descriptors.services.impl.AbstractCastorDescriptorService.readInternal(AbstractCastorDescriptorService.java:65)
    at
org.apache.pluto.descriptors.services.impl.AbstractPortletAppDescriptorService.read(AbstractPortletAppDescriptorService.java:81)
    at
org.apache.pluto.descriptors.services.impl.AbstractPortletAppDescriptorServiceTest.testPortletCount(AbstractPortletAppDescriptorServiceTest.java:51)
[...]
org.apache.pluto.descriptors.services.impl.AbstractPortletAppDescriptorServiceTest.testPortletNames(AbstractPortletAppDescriptorServiceTest.java:56)
[...]
org.apache.pluto.descriptors.services.impl.AbstractPortletAppDescriptorServiceTest.testPortletClassNames(AbstractPortletAppDescriptorServiceTest.java:62)
    at
    at
    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:478)
    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:344)
    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:196)
]]

--
Graham Klyne
For email: