Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Ian Roberts <i....@dcs.shef.ac.uk> on 2008/05/08 11:06:59 UTC

Bundling ASM in CXF

I asked this a while ago, and I'll ask again: the ASM FAQ [1] recommends
using the trick used by cglib-nodep of copying the particular version of
the ASM classes that your code requires into your own package and
bundling them in your JAR file.  Is there any reason (legal or otherwise
[2]) why CXF couldn't do this?  It would solve the dependency hell at a
stroke.

If the consensus is that it would be legal then I'm happy to try working
on a patch.

[1] http://asm.objectweb.org/doc/faq.html#Q15
[2] http://asm.objectweb.org/license.html

Ian

--
Ian Roberts               | Department of Computer Science
i.roberts@dcs.shef.ac.uk  | University of Sheffield, UK

Re: Bundling ASM in CXF

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
This is actually very "easy" to do for the big bundled jar that we put
by default in the lib dir.   The shade plugin that we use to create
that bundle jar was specifically written for that purpose.   We just
use the shade plugin to merge the jars together, but it does support
the package/class mangling and such.   If you want to start looking
into that, that would be great.

The trickier part would be to do it for the module jars and I'm
probably going to suggest NOT doing it for them.   There are more than
one modules that have ASM stuff in it (not just jaxws) and we probably
don't want to shade it into a bunch of the jars.

Dan

On May 8, 2008, at 5:06 AM, Ian Roberts wrote:

> I asked this a while ago, and I'll ask again: the ASM FAQ [1]
> recommends using the trick used by cglib-nodep of copying the
> particular version of the ASM classes that your code requires into
> your own package and bundling them in your JAR file.  Is there any
> reason (legal or otherwise [2]) why CXF couldn't do this?  It would
> solve the dependency hell at a stroke.
>
> If the consensus is that it would be legal then I'm happy to try
> working on a patch.
>
> [1] http://asm.objectweb.org/doc/faq.html#Q15
> [2] http://asm.objectweb.org/license.html
>
> Ian
>
> --
> Ian Roberts               | Department of Computer Science
> i.roberts@dcs.shef.ac.uk  | University of Sheffield, UK

---
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org