Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Aymeric Alibert <Ay...@alliantenergy.com> on 2002/12/10 23:38:19 UTC

TC 4.1 and VM crash: how to report issue?

We are running a Tomcat 4.0 server in our production environment and
I am trying to upgrade to Tomcat 4.1.

I ran some load test recently and was horrified to see the server crashing even
under moderate load. After more testing, I found that starting the VM with the
-server option systematically crash the VM after few minutes of load test.
The server works fine even under heavy load with the -client option.
The same behavior can be reproduced with both JDK1.4.0 and JDK1.4.1.

My TC4.0 server runs fine with the -server option.

Now, this is obviously a JVM problem but probably won't have any help from
SUN since:
- I cannot create a test case to reproduce my problem.
- I works fine with TC4.1

Can someone help me with this issue or at least guide me to the right contact?
I found several tickets opened on the SUN bug database with similar issues but
none of them had a resolution or people assigned to work on them.

Thanks!

Aymeric

Re: TC 4.1 and VM crash: how to report issue?

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Aymeric Alibert wrote:

>We are running a Tomcat 4.0 server in our production environment and
>I am trying to upgrade to Tomcat 4.1.
>
>I ran some load test recently and was horrified to see the server crashing even
>under moderate load. After more testing, I found that starting the VM with the
>-server option systematically crash the VM after few minutes of load test.
>The server works fine even under heavy load with the -client option.
>The same behavior can be reproduced with both JDK1.4.0 and JDK1.4.1.
>
>My TC4.0 server runs fine with the -server option.

If you application runs fine with the -client option, why not using that
option? Also, have you try to increased the memory allocated for Tomcat
(using the -Xmx<size> option)?

Are you sure your test is correct, meaning are youy testing a situation
that will never occurs? (probably not :-))

>Now, this is obviously a JVM problem but probably won't have any help from
>SUN since:
>- I cannot create a test case to reproduce my problem.
>- I works fine with TC4.1
>
>Can someone help me with this issue or at least guide me to the right contact?
>I found several tickets opened on the SUN bug database with similar issues but
>none of them had a resolution or people assigned to work on them.

;-) I know. As with any technology, you need a clear test case. I just
spend weeks trying to reproduce a Xerces bug outside Tomcat. Until a
genious Tomcat user  found the a test case, the Xerces team (with
reason) did want to look at my stuff :-( )

-- Jeanfrancois

Posted by Kristján Bjarni Guðmundsson <kr...@hugvit.is>.
I don't recomend using the -server option, the server version is buggy as
hell
and crashes constantly, you will just have to wait for SUN to get their
act together.

"Aymeric Alibert" <Ay...@alliantenergy.com> wrote on 10.12.2002
22:38:19: