Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by VPN Cluster <vp...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/10 20:00:46 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd folder is owned by root

After successful compilation of Apache 2.2.9 , Apache folder on
/usr/lcoal/httpd is owned by root:root.

It should be owned by apache:apache. How to go about fixing that..

Re: [users@httpd] httpd folder is owned by root

Posted by Res <re...@ausics.net>.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Frank Gingras wrote:

> You need to fix those installations immediately, then. You can run:
>
> chown -R root:root /usr/local/httpd

A caution there, if he serves content from /usr/local/apache/htdocs|cgi-bin
they should *not* be owned by root but apache or the vhost domain owner
Though I'd like to think he like most of us, uses something like /var/www
so it is entirely separate at all times.

--
Cheers
Res

2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.

Re: [users@httpd] httpd folder is owned by root

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.
You need to fix those installations immediately, then. You can run:

chown -R root:root /usr/local/httpd

to fix it.

If you have any directories that require write access for your scripts,
chmod those to 775, and chgrp to apache. Be aware that you should
prevent script and unknown content from being uploaded there to minimize
the security risk.

Posted by VPN Cluster <vp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
VPN Cluster wrote:
> After successful compilation of Apache 2.2.9 , Apache folder on
> /usr/lcoal/httpd is owned by root:root.
>
> It should be owned by apache:apache.

Never.  Absolutely not.  Anyone who compromises apache with an arbitrary
code execution exploit or uses any number of vulnerable scripts or even
untrusted content authors would be able to modify the installation of
Apache itself.