Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave North <Da...@signiant.com> on 2002/05/02 15:28:01 UTC

List manager busted?

I've sent an email to the list owner, but no reply yet.  It seems the
unsubscribe function isn't working.   Can anyone here help out?

Thanks

Dave

Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 17:26:24 -0400
From: "Dave North" <Da...@signiant.com>
To: "tomcat-user-uc.1020288367.deebcnlbhphdailhcjkc-Dave.North="
<si...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: List manager busted?

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Thu, 2 May 2002, Dave North wrote:

> I've sent an email to the list owner, but no reply yet.  It seems
> the unsubscribe function isn't working.  Can anyone here help out?
[ ... ]

I haven't been very active on the tomcat-user list for a while, but I
do recall that the list "owner" (if there ever even really was one,
i.e. a human one) was not very responsive -- I sent mail to them a
number of times, and I don't think I ever got a response.

Regarding unsubscribing, I think the biggest problem (but not
necessarily the only one) has to do with trying to unsubscribe from a
different address than the one you're subscribed as.  That is, when
you subscribed, it was as a certain address -- if you didn't
explicitly set it, it was from wherever you sent the subscribe
message.  But perhaps because of moves, address changes, machine
changes, etc., you are no longer at that address (but because of
forwards/aliases, you still receive mail sent to that address).  So,
if you try the simple unsubscribe method (i.e. without specifying an
address), the address you send it from won't match the subscribed
address, and the list won't accept it.  The simple unsubscribe method
is to send a message to tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org.

The trick is to tell it what address you are subscribed as when you
try to unsubscribe.  Of course, you have to know what address you are
subscribed as before you can do that.  The way to find that out is to
look for a header on a message from the list that contains that
information.  On my setup (using Pine on a UNIX system), I can look at
the "From " line (not "From:") or the "Return-Path:" line.  There'll
I'll see something like:

tomcat-user-return-18383-mepstein=uiuc.edu@jakarta.apache.org

The "18383" is the message number, and the "mepstein=uiuc.edu" is the
address I'm subscribed as (with the "@" changed to a "=").

Now that you have that info, you can include it with your unsubscribe
request.  To do that, instead of sending a message to
tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org, send it to
"name=domain.com" (or rather "name@domain.com") is the subscribed
address.

BTW, the necessary header info to get your subscribed address is
available with Outlook -- you may have to click in a certain place
and/or set some options, but it is there, it's been mentioned on the
list before.

Hope this helps.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer