Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/08 15:25:26 UTC

[UX]Comments visibility

Some users, mostly when reading an existing document, tend do disable the
view of comments with View → Comments. The problem with this option is that
comments disappear *completely*, which increase the risk of deleting a note
by accident. There is an extension(1) that maintain the comment's anchor
visible even when "See Comments" is disabled.

The problem with the use of this extension is that those anchors are
completely passive: other than deleting, you cannot do anything with them
and to see the comment content, you need to enable "view comments  again.
So I think there are two point that can be considered:

1- Set by default the option of viewing note anchors even when "view
comments" is disabled.

2- Make note anchor show a tooltip with the note content, the same way
footnote anchors show footnote content when hover over it, but of course
only when "view comment" is disable.

What do you think?

Regards
Ricardo

(1) http://extensions.openoffice.org/project/NotesAnchor

Re: [UX]Comments visibility

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 04:48:42 -0500
TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> On 12/16/2012 01:41, Kevin Grignon wrote:
> > KG01 - see comments inline

> > KG01 - The system should avoid deleting hidden elements. Should the system try to delete content which includes a hidden comment, we should inform the user of the consequence of the action, and provide a way to quickly review the comment, in context, and give them options on how to proceed. Options could include 1) delete content and comment, 2) delete content and push comment to cursor location 3) or cancel action.
> >
> >> I agree this can be a usability problem.

> > KG01 - View option for common objects could be simplified. With some task pane toolbar view options (clipart gallery, navigator, etc) moving to sidebar task pane, we could push a high frequency view options command (dropdown) to the main toolbar. Where one click on/off could control view options, such as comments.
> >
> >> This makes sense, but then we would have to add an option at least in Tools - Options - Writer - View to hide comment anchors too (and it would have to be active only if "Comments" in unset... not very friendly).

> > KG01 - we could explore user friendly action tool bars as a way to reveal comments.
> >
> >> This would work, but the user wouldn't get rid of comments completely. He would still see the anchor and I don't know how annoying this would be.
> >>
> > KG01 - I'll add this to the ux backlog. This is an area where we should sketch out some concepts, then socialize for feedback.
> >
> >> Definitely a good question for UX!
> >
> > KG - Yup. Keep 'em coming :)
> >

> >> Regards,
> >>   Andrea.
> >
> While you're thinking about visibility, please think about bookmarks.
> Totally invisible, very deletable, combination undesirable.
>
> /tj/

Note that Hanya has provided Bookmarks Menu extension and rupxamgon VisibleBookmarks extension, both in the Extesions repository, which are useful in helping to work with bookmarks and help overcome the above problem from /tj/.

Their (or similar) code and functionality could be usefully incorporated into AOO future releases

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [UX]Comments visibility

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.