Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org> on 2018/08/21 10:43:54 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Tracing in the Hadoop ecosystem

Thanks for starting discussion, Stack.

The ZipKin seems to be coming to the Apache Incubator. As Andrew
Purtell said on HADOOP-15566, it would be good option since there is
no problem about licenses.
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ZipkinProposal

Stack, do you have any knowledge about differences between Zipkin and
HTrace? Might measurable performance overhead be observed still in
Zipkin?

To decrease the overhead, we need to do additional work like ftrace,
well known dtrace implementation in Linux kernel. If I understand
correctly, ftrace replace its function calls with NOP operations of
CPU instruction when it is disabled. This ensures the lower overhead
by the tracer. By replacing the function calls for tracing to JVM's
NOP operation, can we achieve the minimum overhead?

Regards
- Tsuyoshi

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
And, sorry if not clear, only source level compatibility is needed. The goal wouldn't be drop in binary compatibility for user convenience, it would be source compatibility so we don't have to replace all of the HTrace instrumentation points cross stack in the short term, so, stack developer and release management convenience.

That aside, I have no idea if zipkin would want to ship a HTrace facade.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
What if someone built a HTrace facade for Zipkin / Brave? Hadoop, HBase,

Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Tracing in the Hadoop ecosystem

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> > >     project. This then beggars the question, should something replace
> it
> > >     and if so what? This is where HADOOP-15566 is at currently.
> > >
> > >     HTrace took two or three runs, led by various Heros, at building a
> > >     trace lib for Hadoop (first). It was trying to build the trace
> lib, a
> > >     store, and a visualizer. Always, it had a mechanism for dumping the
> > >     traces out to external systems for storage and viewing (e.g.
> Zipkin).
> > >     HTrace started when there was little else but the, you guessed it,
> > >     Google paper that described the Dapper system they had internally.
> > >     Since then, the world of tracing has come on in leaps and bounds
> with
> > >     healthy alternatives, communities, and even commercialization.
> > >
> > >     If interested, take a read over HADOOP-15566. Will try and

Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Tracing in the Hadoop ecosystem

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.