Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by yogesh dhari <yo...@live.com> on 2012/09/11 20:44:28 UTC

How to remove datanode from cluster..

Hello all,

I am not getting the clear way out to remove datanode from the cluster.

please explain me decommissioning steps with example.

like how to creating exclude files and other steps involved in it.

Thanks & regards

Yogesh Kumar

Re: How to remove datanode from cluster..

Posted by abhishek dodda <ab...@gmail.com>.
hi yogesh,

Hope this helps

To remove nodes from the cluster:
1. Add the network addresses of the nodes to be decommissioned to the
exclude file. Do not update the include file at this point.
2. Update the namenode with the new set of permitted datanodes, with
this command:
% hadoop dfsadmin -refreshNodes
3. Update the jobtracker with the new set of permitted tasktrackers using:
% hadoop mradmin -refreshNodes
4. Go to the web UI and check whether the admin state has changed to
“Decommis- sion In Progress” for the datanodes being decommissioned.
They will start copying their blocks to other datanodes in the
cluster.
5. Whenallthedatanodesreporttheirstateas“Decommissioned,”thenalltheblocks
have been replicated. Shut down the decommissioned nodes.
6. Remove the nodes from the include file, and run:
% hadoop dfsadmin -refreshNodes
% hadoop mradmin -refreshNodes
7. Remove the nodes from the slaves file.

Regards
Abhi

Posted by abhishek dodda <ab...@gmail.com>.
hi yogesh,

Posted by Bejoy Ks <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yogesh

The detailed steps are available in hadoop wiki on FAQ page

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/FAQ#I_want_to_make_a_large_cluster_smaller_by_taking_out_a_bunch_of_nodes_simultaneously._How_can_this_be_done.3F

Regrads
Bejoy KS

Posted by abhishek dodda <ab...@gmail.com>.