Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> on 2018/10/10 20:32:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] Beam public roadmap

Hi all,

We made an attempt at putting together a sort of roadmap [1] in the past
and also some wide-ranging threads about what could be on it [2]. and I
think we should pick it up again. The description I really liked was
"strategic and user impacting initiatives (ongoing and future) in an easy
to consume format" [3]. It seems that we had feedback asking for a Roadmap
at the London summit [4].

I would like to first focus on meta-questions rather than what would be on
it:

 - What style / format should it have to be most useful for users?
 - Where should it be presented?

I asked a couple people to try to find the roadmap on the web site, as a
test, and they didn't really know which tab to click on first, so that's a
starting problem. They didn't even find Works In Progress [5] after
clicking Contribute. The level of detail of that list varies widely.

I'd also love to see hypothetical formats for it, to see how to balance
pithiness with crucial details.

Kenn

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/4e1fffa2fde8e750c6d769bf4335853ad05b360b8bd248ad119cc185@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f750f288af8dab3f468b869bf5a3f473094f4764db419567f33805d0@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[3]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/60d0333fd9e2c7be2f55e33b0d145f2908e3fe645c008636c86e1133@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[4]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/aa1306da25029dff12a49ba3ce63f2caf6a5f8ba73eda879c8403f3f@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E

[5] https://beam.apache.org/contribute/#works-in-progress

Re: [DISCUSS] Beam public roadmap

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.
Hi Kenn,

This looks great, thanks!

As follow-up, we can probably also move the following to the Wiki:
https://beam.apache.org/contribute/design-documents/

Thomas

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Beam public roadmap

Posted by David Morávek <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 this looks like a great starting point. It is always beneficial for the user to know where the project is headed.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.