Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by John Smith <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2005/09/12 20:04:41 UTC

ParallelReader and Date Filter

Hi,

I have Lucene 1.4.3 codebase and I got Parallel Reader from the trunk along with a few changes that need to go on top of it to make it compile.

II have 2 indexes, against which I am querying using the Parallel Reader. Most of my queries work great. Thanks for the great work on this feature.

One index has only content and the other index has dates and basically all the information related to the document.

 I have two questions.
Question 1:

========
When I use a date filter (using the DateFilter.java) in my query, then it seems to hang. Has anyone faced an issue with using DateFilter  and Parallel Reader.

On further debugging, I found it seems to continously go through this piece of code in FSDirectory: FSInputStream.clone method continously.
  public Object clone() {
      FSInputStream clone = (FSInputStream)super.clone();
      clone.isClone = true;
    return clone;
  }

This seems to be the code path taken...

        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream.clone(FSDirectory.java)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermEnum.clone(SegmentTermEnum.java)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.TermInfosReader.terms(TermInfosReader.java)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.terms(SegmentReader.java)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.ParallelReader$ParallelTermEnum.next(ParallelReader.java)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.DateFilter.bitsForField(DateFilter.java:)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.DateFilter.bits(DateFilter.java)

First of all, is it a good idea to get all the code from the trunk, instead of just pieces to make ParallelReader work or is there a bug which I can just fix and move on with the existing code ?

Question 2:
==========
My index 2 is expected to be dynamic, meaning will be deleted and reindexed often. Will this not change the Doc ids? My understanding is, Parallel reader expects doc id (Lucene internal) to be the same for it to query against these 2 indexes and return results appropriately. Is my understanding wrong?

Appreciate any help in this respect.

Thank you
JS

---------------------------------
Yahoo! for Good

Re: ParallelReader and Date Filter

Posted by John Smith <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you.
I will try that

JS

Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:

On Sep 12, 2005, at 2:04 PM, John Smith wrote:
> I have Lucene 1.4.3 codebase and I got Parallel Reader from the
> trunk along with a few changes that need to go on top of it to make
> it compile.

I highly recommend you simply compile the trunk and use it instead of
trying to patch these classes onto 1.4.3. There have been numerous
core changes and you may very well have something out of sync even if
things do compile successfully.

Erik

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.