Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Neil Conway <ne...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/14 22:11:59 UTC

Non-checkpointing frameworks

Hi folks,

I'd like input from individuals who currently use frameworks but do
not enable checkpointing.

Background: "checkpointing" is a parameter that can be enabled in
FrameworkInfo; if enabled, the agent will write the framework pid,
executor PIDs, and status updates to disk for any tasks started by
that framework. This checkpointed information means that these tasks
can survive an agent crash: if the agent exits (whether due to
crashing or as part of an upgrade procedure), a restarted agent can
use this information to reconnect to executors started by the previous
instance of the agent. The downside is that checkpointing requires
some additional disk I/O at the agent.

Checkpointing is not currently the default, but in my experience it is
often enabled for production frameworks. As part of the work on
supporting partition-aware Mesos frameworks (see MESOS-4049), we are
considering:

(a) requiring that partition-aware frameworks must also enable
checkpointing, and/or
(b) enabling checkpointing by default

If you have intentionally decided to disable checkpointing for your
Mesos framework, I'd be curious to hear more about your use-case and
why you haven't enabled it.

Thanks!

Neil

Re: Non-checkpointing frameworks

Posted by Neil Conway <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback!

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Zhitao Li <zh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 to both A to B.
>
> Do we plan to eventually drop non-checkpionted framework support (possibly
> in v2) and declare that all frameworks has to operate in this assumption?

I think that's worth considering for v2, *if* we don't find anyone
that has good reasons for disabling checkpointing. But I'd expect it
is more likely we keep it around as an option that is disabled by
default.

Posted by Neil Conway <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Zhitao Li <zh...@gmail.com>.
+1 to both A to B.

--
Cheers,

Zhitao Li

Re: Non-checkpointing frameworks

Posted by Zhitao Li <zh...@gmail.com>.
+1 to both A to B.

--
Cheers,

Zhitao Li

Re: Non-checkpointing frameworks

Posted by Aaron Carey <ac...@ilm.com>.
+1 to A and B

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
Got it, thanks Zameer!

Thanks,
Qian Zhang

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
Got it, thanks Zameer!

Posted by Zameer Manji <zm...@apache.org>.
Qian,

Posted by Aaron Carey <ac...@ilm.com>.
+1 to A and B

Posted by Zameer Manji <zm...@apache.org>.
Qian,

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zameer Manji <zm...@apache.org>.
+1 to A and B

Posted by Zameer Manji <zm...@apache.org>.
+1 to A and B

Posted by Joris Van Remoortere <jo...@mesosphere.io>.
I'm in favor of A & B. I find it provides a better "first experience" to
users.
From my experience you usually have to have an explicit reason to not want

Posted by Joris Van Remoortere <jo...@mesosphere.io>.
I'm in favor of A & B. I find it provides a better "first experience" to
users.
From my experience you usually have to have an explicit reason to not want