Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Luc Peerdeman <lj...@xs4all.nl> on 2005/01/15 14:46:42 UTC

Solution (Re: Development mode with LESS PAIN????)

Hi Kurtis,

Kurtis Williams wrote:

> I run Tapestry in "development mode" with the command line switch
> "-Dorg.apache.tapestry.disable-caching=true" on my Tomcat app server.  I
> do this because I want to view changes to my templates and specification
> files when I hit the refresh button on my browser.

I assume you hit the refresh button on your browser after making changes
to your app.

> Has anybody found a good way to rapidly develop Tapestry sites without
> the painful lag time between clicks?  (Other than buying a quad
> processing 5Ghz development box with a hardware XML accelerator?)

Yes, it actually is quite simple. Don't disable caching, do enable
reset-service, and insert the Tapestry inspector in your page
(preferably in a shell component included in every page). After you make
a change, open the inspector and clear the cache manually by calling the
(Tapestry built in) reset service. Then refresh your browser page.

It is two mouse clicks more per refresh action, but the good thing is
your pages work as fast as they would in production. Especially for
pages or page flows that are a little bit more complex this is a great
advantage.

Another possibility to call the reset service is to try to load a url
like this one in your browser:

http://localhost:9080/myapp/app?service=reset/nonexistingpage

I was quite annoyed (with myself) that I only found out about this last
month after having spent far too much 'waiting time' when testing part
of our Tapestry app.

Btw, a feature request has been made for Spindle to have it do all this
automatically after a save action in Eclipse. This will save you the
extra mouse clicks. See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1083383&group_id=50321&atid=459331

Cheers, Luc.