Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Aditya <ad...@grot.org> on 2003/02/14 06:07:58 UTC

tracking memory usage over time

I have the following JSP that I hit every 5 minutes and stuff the
returned values into a RRD (www.rrdtool.org) to measure the memory
(heap I presume) consumption of Tomcat over time. Is there a "better"
way, short of using JMX in the newer Tomcat builds, of doing this?

<%@ page language="java" %>
<%@ page session="false" %>
<%
        long free = java.lang.Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory();
        long total = java.lang.Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory();
        out.print(free + "|" + total + "|");
%>

I can see a clear leak (about 20 contexts with a dozen or so hit
constantly and recompiling JSPs very often) which necessitates (-Xmx
and -Xms set to 256 MB) a restart of Tomcat every 4 days or so (with
4.1.14). I just upgraded to 4.1.20 thinking that the constant
compiling was the source of the leak and that doesn't seem to have
made a difference. Running 4.1.14 under jprobe doesn't evidence any
leaks in our JSPs/filters.

Hints on how to trace this leak down would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Adi

Re: tracking memory usage over time

Posted by Aditya <ad...@grot.org>.
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:45:26 -0600, Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net> said:
> An easier way to measure memory usage in production is to start the
> JVM which runs Tomcat with the arg -verbose:gc, this will print
> information to stdout about each garbage collection and the memory
> used.

thank you, we'll try that.

> I doubt if the memory leak is in Tomcat itself.  The best way to
> find the memory leak in your application is to setup a test server
> and use OptimizeIt or JProbe to profile Tomcat and your web
> application.  You can use something like JMeter to simulate load.

we did run 4.1.14 under JProbe and didn't find any obvious leaks in
our application/classes -- it was clearly in the Tomcat
compilation. We haven't run 4.1.20 under JProbe yet.

Thanks,
Adi

Re: memory leak on context reload or stop/start? [was Re: tracking memory usage over time]

Posted by Aditya <ad...@grot.org>.
We are using 4.1.20 where this particular leak (and another one in
Jasper) is supposed to be fixed and we use jikes in any case.

Thanks,
Adi

Posted by Uddhav Shirname <ud...@persistent.co.in>.
The release note of  Tomcat 4.1.18 talks about a known memory leak with
JSPs. I am not aware of its status with Tomcat 4.1.20. This is what it has
to say,

--------------------
JAVAC leaking memory:
--------------------

Posted by Aditya <ad...@grot.org>.

Posted by Aditya <ad...@grot.org>.
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:08:41 -0600, Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net> said:
> Does the increase in memory usage correlate with an increased number
> of connectors due to a spike in request volume?

There does not seem to be a correlation between a request spike and
un-gc'able heap usage.  I'm using mod_jk (1.2.2 from CVS) with the
following in server.xml:

               acceptCount="10" debug="0"
               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="443"
               secure="false" scheme="http"
               tomcatAuthentication="true"/>

In our "Tomcat Performance Tuning and Troubleshooting" ApacheCon presentation I see that you have a connectionTimeout="0" attribute -- however I don't see that documented at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/jk.html

is it something I should set/know about? I currently see 30
ESTABLISHED TCP connections between the tomcat server and the apache server...

> Perhaps you should try increasing the heap size.

In the hopes that the "plateau" is higher than around 100 Megs free?

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Posted by Sachin Chowdhary <cs...@pisoftek.com>.
you can also use jmeter for this purpose i have not used it but i heard that
it help in detecting memory leaks in tomcat.JMeter is also under jakarta
project you can use it may be it will help you
	sachin

Posted by Aditya <ad...@grot.org>.
Glenn,

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Posted by Aditya <ad...@grot.org>.
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:14:33 -0800 (PST), Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com> said:
> Is there any particular reason the pages are recompiled frequently?
> If you're using tomcat 4.1.12 or newer, it should use Ant to compile
> the pages, which should get around the issue of memory leak due to
> page compilation.

we're using jikes for the page compilation and running 4.1.20 so AFAIK
there are no known leaks due to page compilation. The reason for the
frequent recompilation is that the machine is a development server.

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.
Is there any particular reason the pages are
recompiled frequently?  If you're using tomcat 4.1.12
or newer, it should use Ant to compile the pages,
which should get around the issue of memory leak due
to page compilation.

peter