Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Lance Bader <ld...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/27 02:10:06 UTC

xDoc i18n scalability

I see how to use the xDoc plugin's i18n support to build language dependent
navigation menus and titles as well as section and subsection headings.
This is GREAT because, as a rule, translators do not translate attribute
values.  They only translate text between the tags.

But how do you replace the content inside section and subsection elements?
I must be missing something vital here.  (Help me out and I will help you
improve your i18n documentation.)

I hope the plugin doesn't expect all the translated text to be in a
properties file.  That is just not scalable.  We have 100,000 words on our
web site.  No one wants a properites file with 100,000 words in it.

What I expected (and really really want) is to place translated xDoc XML
source files in parallel trees, one tree for each supported language.  When
a source file in the base language exists in the parallel tree of a
supported language, the file from the supported language is used to generate
the HTML.  Otherwise, the file from the base language is used.  That way,
Javadoc, XML schema references, code templates and other pages that have not
been translated yet, are built from the base language and the XML source
documents returned by the translators are used for the translated pages.

If you don't have something better, give me a few hints on how to implement
this enhancement and I will invest the effort to develop this contribution.

If it can't be done, I will just have to build each language dependent site
independently and abandon the cute language switching links at the bottom of
the navigation pane.

Lance

Re: xDoc i18n scalability

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.