Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2008/09/18 06:36:58 UTC

header notices for mirrors a.o/dist/incubator

I noticed that the apache.org/dist/incubator distribution area
had no header file to explain itself. Hence each mirror was
missing that information.

I created it now, modelling it on other ASF distribution areas.

This now has the disclaimer from
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#disclaimers
(except i snipped the phrase "sponsored by the 'name of sponsor'").

It also encourages people to assist each project to mature.

It also encourages them to verify the downloaded artefacts.

Please review.

These files are in SVN at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/dist

    --oOo---

I reckon that each project should have its own similar default
mirror headers. Like other TLPs, they should encourage people
to instead go via its project website download pages.
i.e. following the mirroring guidelines at
http://apache.org/dev/#releases

What do others reckon?

-David

Re: header notices for mirrors a.o/dist/incubator

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 5:36 AM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> I noticed that the apache.org/dist/incubator distribution area
> had no header file to explain itself. Hence each mirror was
> missing that information.
>
> I created it now, modelling it on other ASF distribution areas.
>
> This now has the disclaimer from
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#disclaimers
> (except i snipped the phrase "sponsored by the 'name of sponsor'").
>
> It also encourages people to assist each project to mature.
>
> It also encourages them to verify the downloaded artefacts.
>
> Please review.

looks good :-)

thanks

> These files are in SVN at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/dist
>
>    --oOo---
>
> I reckon that each project should have its own similar default
> mirror headers. Like other TLPs, they should encourage people
> to instead go via its project website download pages.
> i.e. following the mirroring guidelines at
> http://apache.org/dev/#releases
>
> What do others reckon?

+1

- robert

Re: header notices for mirrors a.o/dist/incubator

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18/09/2008, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

>  You spelled artifacts wrong:

They are both valid spellings.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> You spelled artifacts wrong:
> <h2 id="verify">Verify downloaded artefacts</h2>
> other than that, looks good.
>
> Looks like a couple of graduated projects (cxf and tuscany) might want to
> consider removing their incubator artifacts (they are in the archive).
>
> Dan
>

> On Thursday 18 September 2008 12:36:58 am David Crossley wrote:
> > I noticed that the apache.org/dist/incubator distribution area
> > had no header file to explain itself. Hence each mirror was
> > missing that information.
> >
> > I created it now, modelling it on other ASF distribution areas.
> >
> > This now has the disclaimer from
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#disclaimers
> > (except i snipped the phrase "sponsored by the 'name of sponsor'").
> >
> > It also encourages people to assist each project to mature.
> >
> > It also encourages them to verify the downloaded artefacts.
> >
> > Please review.
> >
> > These files are in SVN at
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/dist
> >
> >     --oOo---
> >
> > I reckon that each project should have its own similar default
> > mirror headers. Like other TLPs, they should encourage people
> > to instead go via its project website download pages.
> > i.e. following the mirroring guidelines at
> > http://apache.org/dev/#releases
> >
> > What do others reckon?
> >
> > -David

> Daniel Kulp
> dkulp@apache.org
> http://www.dankulp.com/blog

> Dan

Thanks for reminding us. I'll raise it on the Tuscany list.

Regards

Simon

Re: header notices for mirrors a.o/dist/incubator

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
You spelled artifacts wrong:
<h2 id="verify">Verify downloaded artefacts</h2>
other than that, looks good.

Looks like a couple of graduated projects (cxf and tuscany) might want to
consider removing their incubator artifacts (they are in the archive).

Dan

On Thursday 18 September 2008 12:36:58 am David Crossley wrote:
> I noticed that the apache.org/dist/incubator distribution area
> had no header file to explain itself. Hence each mirror was
> missing that information.
>
> I created it now, modelling it on other ASF distribution areas.
>
> This now has the disclaimer from
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#disclaimers
> (except i snipped the phrase "sponsored by the 'name of sponsor'").
>
> It also encourages people to assist each project to mature.
>
> It also encourages them to verify the downloaded artefacts.
>
> Please review.
>
> These files are in SVN at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/dist
>
>     --oOo---
>
> I reckon that each project should have its own similar default
> mirror headers. Like other TLPs, they should encourage people
> to instead go via its project website download pages.
> i.e. following the mirroring guidelines at
> http://apache.org/dev/#releases
>
> What do others reckon?
>
> -David

Daniel Kulp