Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/11/22 09:42:30 UTC

Questions about book.xml

Hi Forrest Team,

first of all: a big congratulations to you all. I looked
at the latest version of forrest and I'm really impressed
by the rather simple usage *and* the good documenation
to get started. Simply fantastic!

To get my own site running I wondered a little bit about
the book.xml document, it always starts like this:

<book software="Forrest"
      title="Apache Forrest"
      copyright="@year@ The Apache Software Foundation">

These information (at least the title, I didn't look
if the other two as well) are used in the stylesheets
and are rendered in the generated documents.

But these information are already provided in the
project configuration (skinconfig.xml, I think it was).
Is it possible to remove the information from book.xml
and use the project configuration instead?

Carsten

Re: Questions about book.xml

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 09:42:30AM +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi Forrest Team,
>
> first of all: a big congratulations to you all. I looked
> at the latest version of forrest and I'm really impressed
> by the rather simple usage *and* the good documenation
> to get started. Simply fantastic!

:) glad to hear

> To get my own site running I wondered a little bit about
> the book.xml document, it always starts like this:
>
> <book software="Forrest"
>       title="Apache Forrest"
>       copyright="@year@ The Apache Software Foundation">
>
> These information (at least the title, I didn't look
> if the other two as well) are used in the stylesheets
> and are rendered in the generated documents.
>
> But these information are already provided in the
> project configuration (skinconfig.xml, I think it was).
> Is it possible to remove the information from book.xml
> and use the project configuration instead?

Yes, the duplication is rather pointless.  +1 on making these attributes
optional and deprecated.

In general, I think that menus (book.xml) and project metadata (currently
skinconf.xml, in future perhaps forrestconf.xml) should be kept
separately.

--Jeff

Re: Questions about book.xml

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi Forrest Team,
>
> first of all: a big congratulations to you all. I looked
> at the latest version of forrest and I'm really impressed
> by the rather simple usage *and* the good documenation
> to get started. Simply fantastic!
>
> To get my own site running I wondered a little bit about
> the book.xml document, it always starts like this:
>
> <book software="Forrest"
>       title="Apache Forrest"
>       copyright="@year@ The Apache Software Foundation">
>
> These information (at least the title, I didn't look
> if the other two as well) are used in the stylesheets
> and are rendered in the generated documents.
>
> But these information are already provided in the
> project configuration (skinconfig.xml, I think it was).
> Is it possible to remove the information from book.xml
> and use the project configuration instead?

Remove "software" +1
Remove "copyright" -0
Make "copyright" oprional +1
Remove "title" -0
Make titles consistentwith the dir contants and
  not only "Apache Forrest" +1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -