Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by MA...@LHSYSTEMS.COM on 2002/07/17 18:29:51 UTC

NodeImpl NotSerializable?

Using Xerces 2.0.2, I'm trying to serialize a document for transfer over
http. Note that this is Java (writeObject/readObject-based) serialization,
not XML serialization. I get the following exception

[17/07/2002 15:46:08:284 CEST] java.io.NotSerializableException:
org.apache.xerces.util.DOMErrorHandlerWrapper
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.outputObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:1148)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:366)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.outputClassFields(ObjectOutputStream.java:1827)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.defaultWriteObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:480)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.outputObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:1214)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:366)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.outputClassFields(ObjectOutputStream.java:1827)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.defaultWriteObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:480)
	at org.apache.xerces.dom.NodeImpl.writeObject(NodeImpl.java:1733)
      [...]

which I interpret as the NodeImpl class referencing an unserializable
DOMErrorHandlerWrapper. NodeImpl implements Serializable (even has it's own
writeObject method), therefore I assume it is intended to be serializable.
Also, there were former posts on this subject which confirmed Document
objects to be serializable. Can anybody tell me how to get rid of that
DOMErrorHandlerWrapper? I'm not using it by purpose.

Thanks in advance
   Marcus