Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es> on 2003/10/09 12:07:19 UTC

Committing binaries in CVS [Was] RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/procrun/bin tomcat.exe tomcatw.exe

Hola a todos:

(Many time from my last post, things are settling here, so hope i will
contribute some code in future :) shields up, nacho will be messing
things shortly, now i'm only moderating our lists, and as some person
said time ago "moderation is to coding what washing dishes is to
cooking" :))

I know this was discussed before, but i dont really understand why it's
needed to have a binary (moreover a win32 binary ) in CVS, and if there
isn't a very good reason to do so, i'm against, and if there is a very
good reason, i hope i should be applicable to any other binary we
produce.. thing that i sincerely doubt ..

Saludos,
Ignacio J. Ortega

Re: Committing binaries in CVS [Was] RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/procrun/bin tomcat.exe tomcatw.exe

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Ignacio J. Ortega a écrit :

> Hola a todos:
>
> (Many time from my last post, things are settling here, so hope i will
> contribute some code in future :) shields up, nacho will be messing
> things shortly, now i'm only moderating our lists, and as some person
> said time ago "moderation is to coding what washing dishes is to
> cooking" :))
>
> I know this was discussed before, but i dont really understand why it's
> needed to have a binary (moreover a win32 binary ) in CVS, and if there
> isn't a very good reason to do so, i'm against, and if there is a very
> good reason, i hope i should be applicable to any other binary we
> produce.. thing that i sincerely doubt ..

I agree with nacho, exec bins should be only be present in tarball/zip,
not in CVS.

CVS is a source repository ;-)

Re: Committing binaries in CVS [Was] RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/procrun/bin tomcat.exe tomcatw.exe

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Bill Barker wrote:
> [...]

It does not require cygwin.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> [...]

Ok, I have noted the resources were missing but I have not tried to arrange it.

> Also I'm not sure about the License and Cygwin binaries (that's too
> fuzzy, so I don't even bother to compile something with cygwin).

I will try to ask them.

> AFAICT we don't build WIN32 distributable binaries with those tools for
> any j-t-c project.
> Further more, apache2.x installation is build with InstallShield
> (another expensive tool), and
> nobody complains about that.

:-((

> So, find the space that can be reached from ant when building Tomcat5,
> and I'll put the binaries there,
> since we don't need them for anything but the nsis TC5 install package.

I do not want to remove the binaries now, I am just reaching a "Open Source" way
to produce them.

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Mladen Turk a écrit :

> [...]

ASF (or just Apache Team) have a special aggrement with InstallShield so
they could use it.

May be we should ask the same to Microsoft for it's Visual C++ ;--)

RE: Committing binaries in CVS [Was] RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/procrun/bin tomcat.exe tomcatw.exe

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: [5.0.13] [4.1.28] VOTES

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> jean-frederic clere wrote:
>
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>
>>> For 4.1.28:
>>> <ballot>
>>> [ ] Alpha
>>> [x] Beta
>>> [ ] Stable
>>> </ballot>
>>

>> My BS2000 is still not working OK.
>

> Is it some kind of server powered by alien technology ? Or does it mean
> Bulls*** 2000 ? Cool name for a server if it does :-D

Best Server 2000 :-)

> Anyway, I don't think anyone here can fix this without some help. First,
> is it a regression over older TC 4.1.x releases ?

No that is no regression, just that I need a little more time to finish my
(EBCDIC) porting. But the problems I have found (and started to fix) may also
exist on other platforms and there are quite a lot of change in this new release.

Re: [5.0.13] [4.1.28] VOTES

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [5.0.13] [4.1.28] VOTES

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: [5.0.13] [4.1.28] VOTES

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Henri Gomez wrote:

> Remy Maucherat a écrit :
>
>> For 4.1.28:
>> <ballot>
>> [ ] Alpha
>> [ ] Beta
>> [ ] Stable
>> </ballot>
>>
>> For 5.0.13:
>> <ballot>
>> [ ] Alpha
>> [ ] Beta
>> </ballot>
>>

> They didn't include my late patch to remove setKeepAlive from JTC ?
>
> We should avoid problem with JDK 1.2/1.3 users ,(

Ah. That connector is deprecated, so I was planning to ignore the bug
report ;-)

Remy

Re: [5.0.13] [4.1.28] VOTES

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Re: [5.0.13] [4.1.28] VOTES

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Henri Gomez wrote:
> Remy Maucherat a écrit :
> Mea culpa.
>
> JTC from TC 5 hsa better support for gzip and could now use regexp
> to avoid that non compatible browsers use gzip or http 1.1 ;-)
>
> BTW, less branches, less works

There are also many other tweaks (improved buffering = better network
efficiency), more debugging features, so I think it is worth it. But now
we need to test it ;-)

Remy

Re: [5.0.13] [4.1.28] VOTES

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Re: [5.0.13] [4.1.28] VOTES

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

RE: [5.0.13] [4.1.28] VOTES

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
One question.

[5.0.13] [4.1.28] VOTES

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
For 4.1.28:
<ballot>
[ ] Alpha
[ ] Beta
[ ] Stable
</ballot>

For 5.0.13:
<ballot>
[ ] Alpha
[ ] Beta
</ballot>

Remy

Re: Committing binaries in CVS [Was] RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/procrun/bin tomcat.exe tomcatw.exe

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.