Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Daniel J. Luke" <dl...@geeklair.net> on 2016/04/01 02:09:11 UTC

Re: spamd running much slower than spamassassin?

On Mar 29, 2016, at 10:41 AM, Daniel J. Luke <dl...@geeklair.net> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2016, at 8:57 PM, Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:

>>> well, it looks like it's DNS related, somehow.
>>
>> The 2 minute pause had me thinking that, but nothing jumped out as a specific explanation and nothing yet does...
>>
>>> I'm still confused as to why 'spamassassin' doesn't have a problem but 'spamd' does. I'm running SA 3.4.1 with perl5.22.1. I've tried both downgrading Net::DNS to 0.83 and upgrading it to 1.05_2
>>>
>>> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>>
>> You haven't mentioned your platform, that I've seen, but it may be relevant, e.g. historically FreeBSD jails can't do real loopback (not sure on 10.2...) EL6/7 derivatives have SELinux on by default, etc...
>>
>> So: more clues please?
>
> Sorry, this is a Mac OS X 10.11.4 system, perl5.22.1 is self-built (perlbrew). I'm not sure exactly when this started, I noticed it after I upgraded to 10.11.4 from 10.11.3, but it may have been happening before. What else would be helpful to know?

OK, I figured this out (using fs_usage -f network <pid>), I traced this down to spamd waiting on mDNSResponder. Turning up mDNSResponder logging gave me the answer that it was 'unhappy' with ::1 as a resolver address for some reason.

Setting this up so only '127.0.0.1' is used instead makes spamd work like normal again.

I /think/ this is regression in 10.11.4, but as I said before, I'm not entirely sure (I only noticed things were slow after the upgrade, they could have been slow for a little while before).

--
Daniel J. Luke