Posted to dev@drat.apache.org by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org> on 2018/08/15 18:37:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] 1.0 Apache DRAT RC1 and GSOC18 project merging

Hey Everyone,

Ahmed’s project for GSOC18 has built us a usable amazing Apache DRAT UI that
exposes the viz UI along with Proteus. Work on this effort has also lead to hardening
drat and making it usable for the main use case: run it on all the ASF repos, and provide
at a minimum daily or weekly auditing reports for our code at wide scale and to provide
full repo and full situational analytics for our code and licenses.

I think we’re ready to release 1.0 RC1. The big thing we are waiting on now is the release
of Apache OODT 1.2.4 – which contains a critical and needed fix. Apache OODT 1.2.3
included the fix, but was only built for Java9, and thus doesn’t work with Java8, the minimum
standard for DRAT.

Once Apache OODT 1.2.4 is released, we can:

Merge the GSOC18 branch to master
start the DRAT 1.0 RC1 process.

I’m happy to be the RM for it. In addition I will work to update the drat demo to the latest Proteus

so that folks can try it out.

I also have a suggestion. Proteus remains as the REST API for interacting with DRAT, but the
Wicket based uI is now subsumed entirely by Proteus-new – the Vue.js webapp that Ahmed
built during Google Summer of Code. I propose we change the name of proteus-new to
Poseidon, the reason being here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proteus

Poseidon is the dad of Proteus ;) That’s what proteus-new is….

We don’t have to change the name for 1.0 RC1, but at a minimum we should for 1.1.

This will make the first release of Apache DRAT, so very exciting!

For those wanting to know more about Ahmed Ifhaam’s work check out this medium article:

https://medium.com/@ahmedifhaam/the-journey-21af965c9493

Thanks!

Cheers,

Chris Mattmann