Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Kasper Nielsen <ne...@kav.dk> on 2001/05/30 14:53:32 UTC

some questions

hi again, 2 quick questions

1.
Why is there a DefaultComponentManager and a DefaultComponentSelector in
both org.apache.avalon.framework.component and in
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component?

they probably have diffent use, but the naming is a little confusing.

2.
whats up with excalibur most of the classes looks like something that ought
to live in Apache Commons.
when I read 'Secondly, there is Excalibur, a collection of often-needed
reusable components' on the main page.
I think of components that implements various of the framework interfaces,
but most of the classes are util classes that doesn't depend on
org.apache.avalon.framework.

- Kasper

Re: some questions

Posted by Kasper Nielsen <ne...@kav.dk>.
> Why is there a DefaultComponentManager and a DefaultComponentSelector in
> both org.apache.avalon.framework.component and in
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component?
>
> they probably have diffent use, but the naming is a little confusing.

Okay this has allready been answered, obvious im not the only one finding it
a little confusing.

- Kasper

Re: some questions

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 02:53 PM 5/30/01 +0200, Kasper Nielsen wrote:
>2.
>whats up with excalibur most of the classes looks like something that ought
>to live in Apache Commons.
>when I read 'Secondly, there is Excalibur, a collection of often-needed
>reusable components' on the main page.
>I think of components that implements various of the framework interfaces,
>but most of the classes are util classes that doesn't depend on
>org.apache.avalon.framework.

right. Commons was created out of arrogance and pride. Avalon existed a
while before and encompassed it's charter (to share components between
apache projects). Some of the members did not like the Avalon name and thus
wanted to create their own project. Ironically they never ended up
contributing anything to commons either.

Ironically besides Craig/Struts the vast majority of work has not been (and
will not likely be) contributed by Apache members but is got from outside
with the a carrot dangled in front of contributors face ;)

Cheers,

Pete