Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/09/16 21:48:14 UTC

Re: Web site translation

cc'ing the dev list since some of these questions concern the overall
website design.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Pedro Albuquerque
<pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
> I'm sending a corrected version of the files and a list a what I found wrong
> in the Web site files, as follows:

Thanks.  I've checked in your latest changes and I then made some
additional corrections.  I think we are almost done now, so I won't
send you a complete ZIP anymore.  It will be easier for you to just
modify the files that have changed.  The latest can always be found
here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/pt-test/

>  * Search button needs at least 80 px to be pretty;

The HTML for this is:

   <input name="resultsPerPage" value="40" type="hidden"/>
   <input name="q" id="query" type="text"/>
   <input name="Button" value="Pesquisar" type="submit" class="topsrchbutton"/>

and the CSS is:

.topsrchbox {
  width: 220px;
  padding-right: 20px;
  text-align: right;
}

So right now we don't have separate widths per language.  It is all a
single value.  But this is not optimal since some languages will
require more space.

>  * topnav, left side is in English;

I assume you mean where it currently says: "home >> pt-test" ?

This is the "bread crumbs", that shows you the path from the root
homepage.  It is automatically created based on the names of the HTML
pages.  The exception is "home" which is hard coded.  Dave Fischer
might have an idea of how or whether this word can be translated in NL
web pages.

>  * Main index, I want to learn more points to English page, so it's not
>    reviewed;

I fixed some errors here.  So all of the main  index page links should
now point to the translated pages.  But please review:

http://www.openoffice.org/pt-test

>  * Main index, Download points to English page;

This page is the correct Portuguese version, but some of the text is
generated in Javascript.  So it requires some special work to
translate.

The code is in blocks like this in download/index.html:

if ( hasMirrorLink() ) {
    if ( LINK.toLowerCase().indexOf( "sourceforge" ) != -1 ) {
      // Download directly from a mirror with displayed platform and language.
      document.write( "<div class=\"first button green\"
id=\"optionitem1\" onclick=\"openItem('optionitem1','"
      + LINK + "');" + "return false;\">" );
      document.write( "<h2><a href='" + LINK + "' title='Version " +
VERSION + " - Milestone " + MILESTONE
      + " - Build ID " + BUILD + " - SVN " + SVN_REV + "'>Download
Apache OpenOffice " + VERSION + "</a></h2>"
      + "<p><a href='" + LINK + "' title='Version " + VERSION + " -
Milestone " + MILESTONE + " - Build ID " + BUILD
      + " - SVN " + SVN_REV + "'>Click here for the most recent
version for:<br />"
(~" + FILESIZE + " MByte)</a></p>" );

That is what generates the text for me (en_US on Windows):

"Download Apache OpenOffice 4.0.0

Click here for the most recent version for:
Windows (EXE) and English (US) (~137 MByte)"

If you are comfortable editing Javascript then go ahead and modify
that code.  Otherwise, just sent me the translation for the above and
I can apply it.

Also, translation for:

"Signatures and hashes: KEYS , ASC , MD5 , SHA256 , How to verify? |
Release Notes |
Get all platforms, languages, language packs | Source code and SDK |
Portable USB versions and third-party ports | Old and legacy version:
3.4.1 + 3.3.0"

We really need to find a cleaner way to separate the Javascript logic
and the translation strings here, otherwise we'll run into problems
every time we need to update the translation or the logic!

>  * Left menu points to English pages;

I fixed that, I think.

>  * Writer, Calc and Impress pages have a broken download link;

I fixed that.

>  * Base page has a missing screendump;

I fixed that.

Note:  if you look closely the screen shots are of the English version
of OpenOffice, showing an English language document.  If you want to
create screenshots in Portuguese you are welcome to do that instead.

>  * topnav, support, books about AOO, book page is a broken link;

We can do one of two things here:

1) We can point this to the general page which lists written about
OpenOffice:  http://www.openoffice.org/support/books.html

2) If there are Portuguese language books about OpenOffice we can list
them on a special page that you maintain in the NL web site.

>  * topnav, participate, last link Students... is broken;

Fixed.

> Besides this, there are several links pointing to English and XX pages but
> you probably already know that.

There should be no more links to "xx" pages.  Let me know if you still
see those.

> You can send more files/pages to be translated whenever you have them ready.
> If I'm wrong in sending this to you alone please let me know.

Since some of these issues will be experienced by other translators it
is good to discuss them on the list.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Web site translation

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
> I wonder if padding the word with spaces would help, e.g., "  Pesquisar  " ?
Done.

>  From the names of the directories, yes.   It doesn't look at the
> <title> in the HTML files.
>
> We could translate file names and directory names, but this would make
> it much harder to merge changes in later.  It is much easier if we
> preserve the same directory structure and file names for all of the NL
> websites.
OK. That's logic. Like the size of the button right? Equal for everyone!
Me being stupid.
> I've noticed that. They also show an image of an older version, I think.
> I'll add the screenshots to the zip file in a separate folder.
> I'm thinking something like e.g. 'draw-big.png' --> 100% and 'draw.png'
> -->25%. Would that be alright?
>
> You can look at the current image sizes as a guide.
I wasn't too far. For the Calc image size you gave below gives about 30%.

> OK.  I don't want to make extra work for you.  I'm just showing what
> options are available.
>
> I'll do #1 for now.
I appreciate it. For now. Not because of the extra work. I'm not afraid
of working. I just need to take one (maybe two) step(s) at a time.
>>   * the release notes page is not translated and I think it should be.
>>     The big announcement at the top points to it.
>>
> It can be translated on the Wiki, and then we can change
> branding.mdtext to point to the translated page.
I'll try to do so.
When done, I'll add a link with:

  * folder with images, big and small, with approximately the size
    mentioned, for all six applications;
  * wiki release notes translation;
  * zipped  branding.mdtext with the changes.

Sorry for the trouble.
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Web site translation

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Pedro Albuquerque
<pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

>> Milestone " + MILESTONE + " - Build ID " + BUILD
>>        + " - SVN " + SVN_REV + "'>Click here for the most recent
>> version for:<br />"
>> (~" + FILESIZE + " MByte)</a></p>" );
>>

>> That is what generates the text for me (en_US on Windows):
>>
>> "Download Apache OpenOffice 4.0.0
>>
>> Click here for the most recent version for:
>> Windows (EXE) and English (US) (~137 MByte)"
>>

>> If you are comfortable editing Javascript then go ahead and modify
>> that code.  Otherwise, just sent me the translation for the above and
>> I can apply it.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, I translated a part of this that is to be made
> available in some near time in the future. I'll translate the rest but
> that's not what I meant. It _was_ pointing to the English page, it's not
> anymore but lots of the links on the right side are broken, translated but

OK.  I see the problem.  I fixed some of them.  More fixes to come...

>> Also, translation for:
>>
>> "Signatures and hashes: KEYS , ASC , MD5 , SHA256 , How to verify? |
>> Release Notes |
>> Get all platforms, languages, language packs | Source code and SDK |
>> Portable USB versions and third-party ports | Old and legacy version:
>> 3.4.1 + 3.3.0"
>>

>> We really need to find a cleaner way to separate the Javascript logic
>> and the translation strings here, otherwise we'll run into problems
>> every time we need to update the translation or the logic!
>>
>>>   * Left menu points to English pages;
>>
>> I fixed that, I think.
>
> Partially. If I choose the 'Why' page, first of all the well discussed
> Notice from the mdtext files appears at top and, as far as I can tell, only
> in this page. Second the left menu here is translated but if we choose an
> option points to the English page.

OK.  This is fixed now.

>>>   * Writer, Calc and Impress pages have a broken download link;
>>
>> I fixed that.
>
> Fixed.
>
>>   * Base page has a missing screendump;
>> I fixed that.
>>
>> Note:  if you look closely the screen shots are of the English version
>> of OpenOffice, showing an English language document.  If you want to
>> create screenshots in Portuguese you are welcome to do that instead.
>
> I've noticed that. They also show an image of an older version, I think.
> I'll add the screenshots to the zip file in a separate folder.
> I'm thinking something like e.g. 'draw-big.png' --> 100% and 'draw.png'
> -->25%. Would that be alright?

You can look at the current image sizes as a guide.

>>>   * topnav, support, books about AOO, book page is a broken link;
>>
>> We can do one of two things here:
>>
>> 1) We can point this to the general page which lists written about
>> OpenOffice:  http://www.openoffice.org/support/books.html
>>
>> 2) If there are Portuguese language books about OpenOffice we can list
>> them on a special page that you maintain in the NL web site.
>
> I'm already away above my head now!
> I'm not putting the second option aside but, like the Portuguese reviews,
> which I'm certain exist, that requires research that I haven't been able to
> do yet. I am really more concerned in putting the site up (there is already
> a company asking for it), and completing the update on the UI and Help for
> version 4.1 at least.
> Maintaining a dedicated page, forum, etc., that will have to wait if you
> don't mind. I'm still learning the basics of all this.

OK.  I don't want to make extra work for you.  I'm just showing what
options are available.

I'll do #1 for now.

>>>   * topnav, participate, last link Students... is broken;
>>>
>> Fixed.
>>
>>> Besides this, there are several links pointing to English and XX pages
>>> but
>>> you probably already know that.
>>
>> There should be no more links to "xx" pages.  Let me know if you still
>> see those.
>
> Will do.
> Two more things:
>
>  * why_foss.html has a blue area that is overwritten by the photo and
>    exceeds the width of the screen. Maybe its my fault (probably is).

Fixed.  It needed a blank line before the "**Software para todos**" header.

>  * the release notes page is not translated and I think it should be.
>    The big announcement at the top points to it.

It can be translated on the Wiki, and then we can change
branding.mdtext to point to the translated page.

> Please confirm the screen shots sizes and I'll try to send it all to you
> later today!

For example, the current spreadsheet sizes are:   calc.png = 225x152
and calc-big.png is 765x535.  But the other product images vary by a
few pixels in size.  So it does not need to be precisely that number.
But try to be close, since we know that size works well.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Web site translation

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> [...]
>
> "Signatures and hashes: KEYS , ASC , MD5 , SHA256 , How to verify? |
> Release Notes |
> Get all platforms, languages, language packs | Source code and SDK |
> Portable USB versions and third-party ports | Old and legacy version:
> 3.4.1 + 3.3.0"
>

> We really need to find a cleaner way to separate the Javascript logic
> and the translation strings here, otherwise we'll run into problems
> every time we need to update the translation or the logic!
>
>>   * Left menu points to English pages;
> I fixed that, I think.
Partially. If I choose the 'Why' page, first of all the well discussed
Notice from the mdtext files appears at top and, as far as I can tell,
only in this page. Second the left menu here is translated but if we
choose an option points to the English page.

>>   * Writer, Calc and Impress pages have a broken download link;
Fixed.

Re: Web site translation

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
this is a lot of different issues. I'll have to check them one at a
time. I'll let you know tomorrow.
Thanks for the not so ever slow/very quick update.;-)
Regards,
Pedro.