Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Dalton-1, Michael" <Mi...@nasa.gov> on 2003/09/23 16:40:45 UTC

Using SSL (e.g. https:) with Jetspeed and IE annoyances

I have a requirement to use SSL (e.g., https:) when users log in to the portal.  After login, SSL is no longer needed.

I have managed to install SSL on my test server and I have changed the upper-right-corner login in favor of a button link that points to the standard Jetspeed login at ../jetspeed/portal/media-type/html/user/anon/page/default.psml/template/Login.

Login works fine under Netscape 7 but is very annoying under Internet Explorer 6.0 where I get the message: "This page contains both secure and nonsecure items.  Do you want to display the nonsecure items?"  There is no way to "remember" the decision or stop the message from popping up in the future.

The above message appears because there are graphics on the page that are being loaded from non-SSL sites.  Also, once logged on you will get the above message "every time" you change pages.  Since it is impossible to control "news feed" graphics from other sites this message will always be displayed.

Questions:
1) How do you get rid of (or control) this message under IE?
2) After using SSL for login is there an easy way to force Jetspeed back into non-SSL?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Michael.D.Dalton@nasa.gov
Internet Business Manager
Computing Systems Services Branch