Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/12/20 16:34:30 UTC

[Fwd: A Jakarta wiki?]

Scott suggested I'd forward :D

(replies on jakarta-general I say :)

- Leo

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
To: Jakarta General List <ge...@jakarta.apache.org>
Subject: A Jakarta wiki?
Date: 21 Dec 2002 00:39:33 +1100

About a month ago a discussion occurred over on turbine-user/dev about the
possibility of setting up a wiki to use for creating ad hoc documentation as
well as a place to develop more formal documentation that might perhaps
later be converted to xdoc for direct inclusion in the actual project site.

We discussed setting something up on a non-apache server, but thought we
would first seek an opinion as to whether or not an apache hosted solution
might be a possibility.

To this end, I posted a query to infrastructure@apache.org (quoted below).
The brief discussion that ensued between Brian Behlendorf, Pier Fumagalli
and myself concluded that I was to liaise with Pier to set up a JSPWiki
instance on nagoya.  I provided Pier with some information and asked him
what the next steps might be, but unfortunately Pier has become overloaded
with work and has been unable to get back to me (I'm not complaining Pier -
all things take time and time is a limited resource).

Anyway, I have two motivations for mailing the general list:
1. To raise the profile of this request in hope of sparking some action.
2. To gain some feedback as to the desirability of widening the scope of the
wiki beyond turbine.  As mentioned below, Cocoon already have an external
(non-apache hosted) wiki.  Leo Simons has also indicated that a similar
discussion has recently taken place over on the Avalon lists with the
conclusion being that they too would like to set up a wiki.

So how about some feedback:
1. Wiki's - love 'em or hate 'em?

2. JSPWiki - good choice or bad choice?

3. Scope of the wiki(s) - ((Turbine) and (Avalon)), Jakarta or Apache?

4. Hosting - apache.org or external

5. Timing - now, soon, later or never

Cheers,

Scott
--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

Re: [Fwd: A Jakarta wiki?]

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Thanks to Andy and Pier, we now have a wiki to (ab)use.

I figured I'd get something started @
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonProjectPages

cheers,

- Leo