Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Eric Lilja <mi...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/30 15:11:46 UTC

Unexpected dependency requirement when performing "package", but not "install"

Hello, I have to set up Maven on a system which is completely offline,
restricted to work on a few, select projects.

During testing, everything initially looked good, I could perform "mvn
clean install" in all projects without issue, and could perform other
Maven-task as well, Intellij was happy, it could resolve all projects
fully, run all test cases etc, and did not complain about any missing
artifacts.

However, then I noticed, almost by accident, that I couldn't do "package"
or "verify" (which was odd, since install works, which is a later phase!),
because then surefire (3.0.0-M5) would complain it was
missing org.apache.maven:maven-toolchain:jar:3.0-alpha-2 (or one of its
dependencies).

Why Surefire would suddenly need that artifact (some old alpha from
2009..), during package- or verify-phase feels weird to me since the later
phase, install, works, and install entails packaging and verification
(compile also works, btw)

surefire-3.0.0-M3 also suffers from this issue...2.18.1 does not

What's going on here? Is my analysis correct, that if I can do "mvn clean
install", then "mvn clean package" should not be an issue, since installs
entails packaging?

For this exotic setup, we can easily work around this, obviously, but it
feels like a bug to me so I wanted to share it with you

- Eric L

Re: Unexpected dependency requirement when performing "package", but not "install"

Posted by Eric Lilja <mi...@gmail.com>.
I just wanted to mention that I saw that a pull request containing a fix
for this nuisance was made the same day I opened the ticket in Jira. This
is impressive and very much appreciated, so thank you for that! Hoping to
see this fix in the next milestone release of Surefire, then!

Have a great week!

- Eric L

Posted by Eric Lilja <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Lilja <mi...@gmail.com>.