Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "McAllister, Michael P." <mi...@attws.com> on 2001/04/26 20:39:34 UTC

Tomcat vs. WebLogic or ATG

Does anyone have an idea of how the stablility and performance of Tomcat
compares to say WebLogic or ATG?

Mike McAllister
Software Engineer
425-288-7343
michael.p.mcallister@attws.com

Re: Tomcat vs. WebLogic or ATG

Posted by Mark Howell <ma...@nullcraft.org>.
I cannot attest to much of a performance comparison, but I know that there
are some programatical and administrative differrences between ATG and
Tomcat.

For example, all system xml files must be valid. If your web.xml file is
not completely valid, your app fails to load with mysterious errors.

Dynamo 5.0 does not know what to do with a .war file.  You must repackage
the file into a .ear configuration prior to deployment.

I have noticed one performance issue, the NT version of (at least Dynamo
5.0) can be quite slow, not that you would deploy on an NT version.

One last note, Tomcat 4 beta 3 is getting close to support for the
yet-to-be-finalized JSP 1.2 spec, something which I am eagerly awaiting.
The latest version of Dynamo (5.1.1) does not, and they don't
appear to publish beta code.

It is my understanding that people generally invest in ATG more for their
personalization and commerce engines than for pure performance.

Hope this helps,
-Mark

mark@nullcraft.org