Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Raymond Budd <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/28 21:55:37 UTC

Devanagari support

 Hi,

I have a question about Devanagari support. Please excuse my limited
background with the script.

The site shows that join controls are not supported:
https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/complexscripts.html, and I want to
make sure the behavior I see is as expected. A basic example of this is
with: में

On command line PDF generation with the example FO file below, this
generates two separate characters instead of the single character above (I
can provide the config, FO, and generated PDF files if it helps). I get the
same result when running with script set to 'dev2' or 'deva'.

If this is currently not supported, does anyone have an idea of when this
support would be available, if there's a workaround, or suggestion for
improving the results?

Also, I'm not sure I understand the distinction between the standard and
extended script codes. Is there a pointer to somewhere I can find out more
about the difference?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ray

sample FO file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" font-family="Arial">
  <fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:simple-page-master margin-top="36pt" margin-bottom="36pt"
margin-left="54pt" margin-right="54pt" page-width="8.5in"
page-height="11in" master-name="normal">
      <fo:region-body margin-bottom="36pt" margin-top="36pt" />
    </fo:simple-page-master>
  </fo:layout-master-set>
  <fo:page-sequence id="DocumentBody" master-reference="normal">
    <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
    <fo:block line-height="125%" color="black" text-align="start"
script="deva" font-family="ArialUnicodeMS" font-size="14pt">
          में
    </fo:block>
    </fo:flow>
  </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

Re: Devanagari support

Posted by Raymond Budd <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks so much for the help. The issue was due to my attempt to use
ArialUnicodeMS as the font.

-Ray

Re: Devanagari support

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.