Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@mastersofbranding.com> on 2005/02/14 19:32:07 UTC

Using mod_php and mod_perl

Does anyone have any info on running mod_php and mod_perl on the same
server for a single 'web application' ?

I'm about 1/2way done with a webapp that has been taking me a while
under mod_perl.

A friend just showed me somme of the outlines for a book on php5 he's
finishing up -- many of the things that are on my to-do list would be
way easier/faster to handle/template under php.

I'm all about using the right-tool-for the right job, and I'm debating
now whether it would be worth doing some of that user-presentation
stuff under php.

perl,  and specifically mod_perl , is the right tool for all the admin
tasks and apache API interaction.  log/db analysis is done via python
scripts.

some of the general user presentation would probably develop well under
php -- but I dont want to consider that at the expense of the mod_perl
processes.

The mod_perl cookbook discusses some of this lightly -- I've been
unable to find any real-world examples online, or any talks of
efficiency on a setup like that.

Anyone have an idea?

Re: Using mod_php and mod_perl

Posted by Ian Joyce <ia...@gmail.com>.
[SNIP]

> I'm all about using the right-tool-for the right job, and I'm debating
> now whether it would be worth doing some of that user-presentation
> stuff under php.

Not to skirt the issue, but what type presentation tasks are you
finding difficult to do under mod_perl? Maybe we can help you reslove
these.

[SNIP]

--Ian

Re: Using mod_php and mod_perl

Posted by Peter Lavender <pl...@bigpond.net.au>.

Perrin Harkins wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:32 -0500, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
>

>>some of the general user presentation would probably develop well under
>>php -- but I dont want to consider that at the expense of the mod_perl
>>processes.
>>

>I think it's pretty much guaranteed that it will be more work to make
>perl and PHP code cooperate for building a single app than to just learn
>enough perl to solve these issues without splitting things up.  Have you
>looked at tools like Embperl, Mason, and Apache::ASP?  They provide a
>similar style of working to PHP.

I might be off target here, but I've started using the template toolkit
(TT)  in my first ever mod_perl "site", and while I'm sure I'm not
following any "right" way to do things, I like the way it works with TT
for the presentation.

When I fiddled with php, there was a lot of talk about various
templating systems Smarty etc, but I never tried them, mostly becuase I
fell into having code and HTML all in the one file/program.

Anyway, I might be way off with what you are after, but for
presentation, that's what I use and it works for me, since I can do all
the logic and then call in the template to send it to.

Pete.

Re: Using mod_php and mod_perl

Posted by Nick Phillips <Ni...@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>.
On 15/02/2005, at 10:40 AM, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:32 -0500, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
>> some of the general user presentation would probably develop well
>> under
>> php -- but I dont want to consider that at the expense of the mod_perl
>> processes.
>
> I think it's pretty much guaranteed that it will be more work to make
> perl and PHP code cooperate for building a single app than to just
> learn
> enough perl to solve these issues without splitting things up.  Have
> you
> looked at tools like Embperl, Mason, and Apache::ASP?  They provide a
> similar style of working to PHP.

Personally I find Template Toolkit easier to use than Mason when I want
to do the kind of things that I would once upon a time have done with
PHP...

Cheers,

Nick

--
Nick Phillips / +64 3 479 4195 / nick.phillips@stonebow.otago.ac.nz
# these statements are my own, not those of the University of Otago

Re: Using mod_php and mod_perl

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:32 -0500, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> some of the general user presentation would probably develop well under
> php -- but I dont want to consider that at the expense of the mod_perl
> processes.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that it will be more work to make
perl and PHP code cooperate for building a single app than to just learn
enough perl to solve these issues without splitting things up.  Have you
looked at tools like Embperl, Mason, and Apache::ASP?  They provide a
similar style of working to PHP.

- Perrin