Posted to api@directory.apache.org by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org> on 2010/08/04 12:04:47 UTC

removing unused methods from DN class

hello guys,

        When I was working on making DN immutable have come across
some of the methods which are not used anywhere in the server code

1. DN addAll( int posn, Name name ) - except at two places in DNTest
class, which we can remove
2. DN add( int pos, RDN newRdn ) - there is another method to add RDN
3. DN addNormalized( RDN newRdn ) - this functionality is already
present in another method add(RDN)

and the serialization functions
1. void readExternal( ObjectInput in )
2. void writeExternal( ObjectOutput out )

this serialization functionality has been moved to DnSerializer class

I propose that we get rid of these methods, thoughts?

Kiran Ayyagari

Re: removing unused methods from DN class

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
  On 8/4/10 12:04 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
> hello guys,
>
>          When I was working on making DN immutable have come across
> some of the methods which are not used anywhere in the server code
>
> 1. DN addAll( int posn, Name name ) - except at two places in DNTest
> class, which we can remove
This method was created to offer some kind of JNDI conversion tools. I
think it's useless, as such a JNDI <-> API tool may use a dedicated class.
> 2. DN add( int pos, RDN newRdn ) - there is another method to add RDN
You are right, it's useless.
> 3. DN addNormalized( RDN newRdn ) - this functionality is already
> present in another method add(RDN)
+1 too. Doom it.
> and the serialization functions
> 1. void readExternal( ObjectInput in )
> 2. void writeExternal( ObjectOutput out )
>
> this serialization functionality has been moved to DnSerializer class
Doom them.
> I propose that we get rid of these methods, thoughts?
No thoughts. Action !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com