Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christian Andersson <ca...@ofs.no> on 2003/10/03 13:04:38 UTC

regarding id/artifactId/groupId in dependency

Hi there, I hav a small question..

in beta10 I could write a dependencytag like this
<dependency>
   <id>test1-test2</id>
   <groupId>test1</groupId>
   <version>1.0</version>
</dependency>

after a while I discovered thet I could also write the dependencytag
like this...
<dependency>
   <id>test1+test2</id>
   <version>1.0</version>
</dependency>

to produce the same effect...

however, in RC1 the <id> tag has been deprecated (it still works however
which is good) so I started to change my dependencytag to use artifactId
instead.

<dependency>
   <artifactId>test1+test2</artifactId>
   <version>1.0</version>
</dependency>

with this sort of dependency I get an nullpointer exception.
adding the groupId back makes it all work...

<dependency>
   <artifactId>test1-test2</artifactId>
   <groupId>test1</groupId>
   <version>1.0</version>
</dependency>

is the nullpointer exception a bug? is it intended so that we have to
use groupId

even if it made things harder to read, I thought it was nice to be able
to use the + sign to tell maven that text before the + sign was the
groupid, since it made much less editing...

anyway, just like to know, so that I know what to do :-)

/Christian Andersson

Re: regarding id/artifactId/groupId in dependency

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Actually, the <id></id> syntax is deprecated.  It was the old way of
doing things, and ultimately didn't provide the grouping mechanisms
desired by some of the more popular framework projects (read Jelly,
etc.). I think it will still work, but I don't know for how long, since
I've heard rumblings about another overhaul to the dependency structures
in the future.  Using deprecation once removed is one thing, but two is
pretty undesirable...

Cheers,
John

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.
When I ran into this I had a question/observation. It might be nice if
Maven automatically understood <groupId> was <artifactId> when it was
missing.

Don't know if this would break anything, just a thought.

-warner

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 07:04, Christian Andersson wrote:
> Hi there, I hav a small question..
>
> anyway, just like to know, so that I know what to do :-)

<dependency>
  <groupId>foo</groupId>
  <artifactId>bar</artifactId>
  <version>1.0</version>