Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2003/01/21 07:22:44 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-turbine-2/xdocs/howto extend-user-howto.xml

On 21/01/2003 1:16 PM, "quintonm@apache.org" <qu...@apache.org> wrote:

> quintonm    2003/01/20 18:16:36
>
> Modified:    xdocs/howto extend-user-howto.xml
> Log:
> Added more documentation about the patch supplied in the how-to.

> -                (Note: You will need to manually remove the line wrapping
> from the above
> -                patch).
> +                You will need to manually remove the line wrapping from the
> above
> +                patch.  You should also be aware that this patch is old.  It
> may or may not
> +                apply correctly.
It most certainly won't - for a start the file against which it was created
uses dbConn (i.e. It is Turbine 2.1)  The patch is also not in unidiff
format (I didn't know any better when I created it :-) and so it doesn't set
a good example.

> +            <p>
> +                The real solution to this problem is in modifing Turbine in
> such a way to
> +                allow Torque to generate the TurbineUser object.  This would
> elevate the
> +                need to extend TurbineUser altogether.  This solution is one
> not so easily
> +                implemented.
I don't think you mean "elevate", you may actually mean "eliminate", but
what you say is untrue - if Torque generates the TurbineUser object it will
greatly simplify the steps necessary to extend the TurbineUser object,
whether or not you need to extend it depends upon your application
requirements and design.  Also, the solution is in fact at hand - I think
Henning has committed it to cvs already, so it will be in Turbine 2.3.

I have a bunch of other small fixes to this document that I will patch
later, but you might like to make some changes to the stuff you have just
updated.

Other than the above this is good stuff.

Cheers,

Scott
--
Scott Eade