Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com> on 2012/11/01 10:28:38 UTC

Re: Futon.Next Proof of Concept

> Haven't run it yet, but the structure looks pretty good.
>
> The key decisions so far seem to be:
> - build with grunt
> - backbone
> - require.js (yes?)
> - LESS
>
> And I take no issue with any of those.
Great! Garren has a change to the deployment script (to make it pushable as a couchapp - he beat me to it!), and some modules that wouldn't be priority for us (since they're for features Cloudant don't have).

Russell and I have some developer documentation to write and an example module or two by the end of next week. We'll keep pushing into this fork.

Do people agree that this is a good foundation to build on? If so how do folk want to proceed? Should we create a PR to couch or is it too early just now?
Cheers
Simon

Re: Futon.Next Proof of Concept

Posted by "john.tiger" <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 11/01/2012 03:28 AM, Simon Metson wrote:
>> Haven't run it yet, but the structure looks pretty good.
>>
>> The key decisions so far seem to be:
>> - build with grunt
>> - backbone
>> - require.js (yes?)
>> - LESS
>>
>> And I take no issue with any of those.
> Great! Garren has a change to the deployment script (to make it pushable as a couchapp - he beat me to it!), and some modules that wouldn't be priority for us (since they're for features Cloudant don't have).
>
> Russell and I have some developer documentation to write and an example module or two by the end of next week. We'll keep pushing into this fork.
>
> Do people agree that this is a good foundation to build on? If so how do folk want to proceed? Should we create a PR to couch or is it too early just now?

well, if futon is designed to just be a great front end - then use of
"outside" libs like grunt, less, are up to the contributors - though
even this makes building basic couch package (assuming it includes
futon) from source more complicated since it adds extra library dependencies

but, if futon is designed to be a model / example / template for
couchapp then it's not a good idea to deviate from standard css and
requiring stuff like nodejs, backbone, ...

I hear some say tools like less, sass, ..... are cleaner, more elegant,
more productive, but I have yet to see or even feel any real improvement
versus the cost of introducing another layer of syntax.  KISS is well
known for a reason.

Re: Futon.Next Proof of Concept

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.
Awesome, thanks for the PR Garren!

-Russell

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.
Interesting idea, and sounds like a great addition as a plugin. One of
our primary goals is to design the system in a modular enough way that
you could easily add support for this in (obviously once CORS is in
place), and then also be able to create a backend to plugin for
PouchDB.

-Russell

Posted by Dale Harvey <da...@arandomurl.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ramage <ry...@gmail.com>.
I am +0 on grunt. It does do a lot for the building the app.

But before going too far, I would like to see some work done on
integrating into the couchdb actual build. As we can all agree,
keeping std couch build dependances down will be important. If you can
show it working with a couch build, I will move my vote up.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
mmm that a lot of things for webapp used to admin a tool:) I am not
convinced it's really needed.

Anyway I will trust you about that. Time to play with the current code.

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> Either way though, don’t let this be in anyone’s way working on Futon.

+1

Re: Futon.Next Proof of Concept

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Nov 1, 2012, at 19:40 , Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com> wrote:
>
>> HI
>>

>> On Thursday, 1 November 2012 at 18:32, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>>
>>> Just to clarify. for what does grunt actually it would be pretty easy to
>>> handle the same in any language.
>>
>> Indeed, but those tools don't exist _today_. We could write them and then
>> work on futon or we could just work on futon. I prefer the latter.
>>

> Do you need today to minify or concatenate files ? :) What will be the
> other use of grunt? Also not saying that gruntjs at the end wouldn't be the
> only solution to use. But I think it's really important to make sure it
> won't increase too much the toolchain when it will be time to release it.
>

>>> My main concern today is the status of
>>> nodejs in distrributions. For example latest ubuntu has the 0.6.19 where
>>> the last versio is 0.8.14. Which can be problematic when we include it in
>>> our toolchain.
>>
>> I'm using node 0.8.1 with grunt quite happily.
>>

> well I meant what is available with ubuntu. I will check but I had to
> install it by hand last time (or some can use a ppa I guess).

Good point Benoit.

We can decide to ship the compiled version until it is less of a pain,
and then we can switch to making it a build dependency. Trade-offs and
all.

Either way though, don’t let this be in anyone’s way working on Futon.

Cheers
Jan

Re: Futon.Next Proof of Concept

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com>.
HI

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
Just to clarify. for what does grunt actually it would be pretty easy to
handle the same in any language. My main concern today is the status of

Posted by Ryan Ramage <ry...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Octavian Damiean <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's starting to bug me enormously to see so much fear and such an amount
> of aversion against new technologies. In fact it bugs me enough to be
> driven away from the project. I'll probably start my own version using the
> tools I prefer.

Octavian, this is classic framework anxiety that happens at the start
of any tech project with lots of people. Dont get discouraged, it will
settle down.

Re: Futon.Next Proof of Concept

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@php.net>.
On 01.11.2012, at 20:23, Octavian Damiean <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's starting to bug me enormously to see so much fear and such an amount
> of aversion against new technologies. In fact it bugs me enough to be
> driven away from the project. I'll probably start my own version using the
> tools I prefer.

Relax :)

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Octavian Damiean <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:

> It's starting to bug me enormously to see so much fear and such an amount
> of aversion against new technologies. In fact it bugs me enough to be
> driven away from the project. I'll probably start my own version using the
> tools I prefer.
>
> aversion to new technologies? Are you really speaking to me ? :)

Anyway my intention is not to discourage you to use  any tool. But
I'm questioning the ease of their integration later which is quite
different to say "don't use X". If grunt do the job and won't increase our
toolchain too much (and I don't see how we can handle expm and such). I
just raised the question because it wasn't on the table. Now if people want
to start with grunt go for it. Will see the rest  later if people are
comfortable with that.

- benoit

Re: Futon.Next Proof of Concept

Posted by Octavian Damiean <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:

> If the choice is node as a build dependency versus checking in compiled
> artifacts, I choose node.

excellent choice, IMO :D

Re: Futon.Next Proof of Concept

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Garren Smith <gs...@redcometlabs.com>.

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Garren Smith <gs...@redcometlabs.com>.
On 01 Nov 2012, at 2:37 PM, Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On Thursday, 1 November 2012 at 09:56, Garren Smith wrote:
>
>> Could we seperate this out of Couchdb as a pure couchapp for now? Might make it easier to work on.
>
> I think keeping it in a fork of CouchDB is good. It hopefully addresses some of Noah's concerns re visibility and will help keep us honest (e.g. stop us from diverging away from an end goal of something served out of _utils). There's nothing stopping people deploying as a couchapp out of that source tree though, once I merge in your patch :D
I think it will make life a lot easier to have it in its own repository. There is a lot of unnecessary overhead in developing a js frontend around the couchdb code base.

>> Simon could you share your wireframes with everyone?
>
> Yes, we're working on that now (amongst other things).
>> We have an issues list here https://github.com/Futon/Futon.Next/issues Should we keep using that as our todo list for Fauxton?
>
> Yeah, I think that's a decent place. I've been using trello recently which is another nice tool for tracking progress (orthogonal to a todo), maybe that's OTT, though.
Lets use issues for now and if we need more help tracking progress we can move to Trello. Could you or Russel say what you guys are currently working on w.r.t Fauxton and where other developers could initially get involved? Maybe this should all be done on the issues.

> Cheers
> Simon

Cheers
Garren

Re: Futon.Next Proof of Concept

Posted by Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Garren Smith <gs...@redcometlabs.com>.
On 01 Nov 2012, at 11:28 AM, Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com> wrote:

>> Haven't run it yet, but the structure looks pretty good.
>>
>> The key decisions so far seem to be:
>> - build with grunt
>> - backbone
>> - require.js (yes?)
>> - LESS
>>
>> And I take no issue with any of those.
> Great! Garren has a change to the deployment script (to make it pushable as a couchapp - he beat me to it!), and some modules that wouldn't be priority for us (since they're for features Cloudant don't have).
>
> Russell and I have some developer documentation to write and an example module or two by the end of next week. We'll keep pushing into this fork.
>
> Do people agree that this is a good foundation to build on?
I think this is a great starting point.

Simon could you share your wireframes with everyone? We have an issues list here https://github.com/Futon/Futon.Next/issues Should we keep using that as our todo list for Fauxton?

> Should we create a PR to couch or is it too early just now?
> Cheers
> Simon

Cheers
Garren