Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Steve Pruitt <bp...@opentext.com> on 2017/12/06 18:32:43 UTC

Collection creation timeout

I have three SolrCloud nodes.  Two are VM's, the other is my machine.  I start Solr on each and they report running in SolrCloud mode.  I can access each node via the admin console.

I have a configset uploaded to my ZK ensemble.

I next tried creating a collection via the admin console for my machine with the Add Collection form.  My uploaded config set shows up ok.  I set numShards to 3 and replication factor to 1.  maxShardsPer, I leave at the default of 1.

After clicking Add Collection to create it, I get a Solr lost connection error and the admin console is frozen.  Looking at the log I have
   o.a.s.s.HttpSolrCall null:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: create the collection time out:180s

When I open the admin console on the two VM's I see the collection and the graph shows my three shards distributed across all three machines.  The two VM's are green, but the vector for my machine not active.  When I click on it.  I get something suggesting a SSL connection issue.  This is a development install, so I have not messed security.

When I look at the two VM's, they have the data folder for the collection.  My machine does not.

I tried deleting the collection from the admin console for one of the VM's and I got the same Solr connection lost error and the admin console is frozen.  However, it looks like the collection was deleted because the VM's collection folder under the data folder is gone.

I don't understand why the collection seems to be created on the two VMs', but not on my machine.  I have an environmental issue, but not sure where to look.

Re: Collection creation timeout

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 12/6/2017 11:32 AM, Steve Pruitt wrote:
> After clicking Add Collection to create it, I get a Solr lost connection error and the admin console is frozen.  Looking at the log I have
>    o.a.s.s.HttpSolrCall null:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: create the collection time out:180s
>
> When I open the admin console on the two VM's I see the collection and the graph shows my three shards distributed across all three machines.  The two VM's are green, but the vector for my machine not active.  When I click on it.  I get something suggesting a SSL connection issue.  This is a development install, so I have not messed security.
>
> When I look at the two VM's, they have the data folder for the collection.  My machine does not.

Initial guess is the host firewall.  You're probably talking about the
Windows machine that has been discussed elsewhere.  All recent Windows
versions come with a firewall that is enabled by default and will block
all incoming connections from other machines, unless it is configured to
allow them.  SolrCloud relies heavily on its nodes being able to talk to
each other over the network.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766312(v=ws.10).aspx

If I'm right, you could just turn off the firewall, but I don't
generally recommend that for client systems.  It's something I often do
on server systems, but only when there's another firewall protecting
them.  For your system, you should probably leave the firewall enabled
and allow the traffic for Solr to get through the firewall.

If you choose to allow traffic by program, then the program in this case
will be the Java executable that is used to start Solr.  If you upgrade
Java, you may need to allow it again.  You can choose to allow it by TCP
port, in which case you'll need to know what port Solr is using.  The
default port is 8983.

Thanks,
Shawn