Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by deepya <m_...@yahoo.co.in> on 2009/03/29 07:29:24 UTC

hadoop-a small doubt

Hi,
   I am SreeDeepya doing MTech in IIIT.I am working on a project named cost
effective and scalable storage server.I configured a small hadoop cluster
with only two nodes one namenode and one datanode.I am new to hadoop.
I have a small doubt.

Can a system not in the hadoop cluster access the namenode or the
datanode????If yes,then can you please tell me the necessary configurations
that has to be done.

Thanks in advance.

SreeDeepya

Re: hadoop-a small doubt

Posted by Parul Kudtarkar <Pa...@hms.harvard.edu>.
What is the exact purpose that you want a system not in hadoop cluster to
access the namenode or datanode? If it is simply to write data to HDFS from
local system and then to copy back data from HDFS to local system simply use
hadoop file system's shell commands.

Hope this helps!

Re: hadoop-a small doubt

Posted by nitesh bhatia <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi
You can ssh to them from any PC in your domain.
--nitesh

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM, deepya <m_...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I am SreeDeepya doing MTech in IIIT.I am working on a project named cost
> effective and scalable storage server.I configured a small hadoop cluster
> with only two nodes one namenode and one datanode.I am new to hadoop.
> I have a small doubt.
>
> Can a system not in the hadoop cluster access the namenode or the
> datanode????If yes,then can you please tell me the necessary configurations
> that has to be done.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> SreeDeepya

Nitesh Bhatia
Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information & Communication Technology
Gandhinagar
Gujarat

"Life is never perfect. It just depends where you draw the line."

visit:
http://www.awaaaz.com - connecting through music
http://www.volstreet.com - lets volunteer for better tomorrow
http://www.instibuzz.com - Voice opinions, Transact easily, Have fun

Re: hadoop-a small doubt

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
On Mar 30, 2009, at 3:53 AM, deepya wrote:

> Do you mean to say the node from which we want to access hdfs should
> also
> have hadoop installed on it??If that is the case then doesnt that
> node also
> become apart of the cluster??

Yes.  You need the Hadoop client installed to access HDFS.  You also
need direct access from the client node to the data node - or you need
to use some other method to bridge the internal cluster and the
external client.  We use a GridFTP server to set between HDFS and
remote WAN clients and achieve multiple Gbps.

Brian

Re: hadoop-a small doubt

Posted by deepya <m_...@yahoo.co.in>.

Re: hadoop-a small doubt

Posted by Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>.
"Becoming a part of the cluster" implies that you're running the daemons on
the node. You need the Hadoop JARs on the client machine so that you can use
FileSystem.open(), etc. And the conf/hadoop-site.xml file should indicate
the NameNode's address in its fs.default.name parameter -- that's how the
client knows which HDFS server to connect to.

But that machine will not "be part of the cluster" and store HDFS blocks or
compute MapReduce jobs unless you explicitly start the datanode and
tasktracker services on that machine (or do it implicitly by adding the
machine to the slaves file and running bin/start-all.sh, etc.)

- Aaron

Re: hadoop-a small doubt

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.

Re: hadoop-a small doubt

Posted by W <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: hadoop-a small doubt

Posted by Sagar Naik <sn...@attributor.com>.
Yes u can

Re: hadoop-a small doubt

Posted by Pankil Doshi <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hey ,
You can do that.That system should have same usrname like those of cluster
and ofcourse it  should be able to ssh name node.Also it should have hadoop
and its hadoop-site.xml should be similar .Then u can access namenode,hdfs
etc.

if you are willing to see the web interface that can be done easily using
any system.