Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Marcelo Alcantara <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/17 20:45:52 UTC

Maven and Big Projects. Help and ideas.

Hi,

I am working on a very big billing project with 40 developers, and I
am intending to use maven on it.

Some questions that are still in my mind.

How do you usually devide the project into small units to ease
development and local deployment/testing??

Actually I did a multiproject in the initial framework based on the
following structure:

project
+--base (base configuration for other projects)
+--common (common classes to be used between web and business modules)
+--business (ejbs)
+--web (web...)

As I can see, it is not going to be a good idea to have a lot of ejbs
into de business jar. Nor will be having all the web resources inside
the web war.

How do you usually do in your big projects??

Thanks for any help.

--
Marcelo Alcantara
Senior Developer/Architect

Re: Maven and Big Projects. Help and ideas.

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
On 8/18/05, Marcelo Alcantara <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thank you very much for the reply.
>
> I still have some doubts and think that maybe you can help me.
>
> 1)
> web
>    parent
>    common
>    war
>
> What would be contained inside the common and parent?? It would
> generate different wars??

sorry i was following the best practice found in maven. Common only used if
you have multiple project sharing jar

If you want to see a good usage of parent, take a look

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-1/plugins/trunk

> 2) The whole big project (ear) would take some time to deploy. How
> would each developer deploy small parts to tests their development
> separatelly?? My developers will be doing junit tests on their session
> ejbs...but at some points they will have to do something more
> integrated.

In your env, developer should be able test as much they can in term of
session ejb.

You can setup some continuous integration like continuum ,
cruisecontrol luntbuild, etc to build, deploy the ear and run
integration from there.

Posted by Marcelo Alcantara <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.