Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Karsten Wutzke <kw...@web.de> on 2003/04/16 23:29:25 UTC

Deploys to "wrong" directory...

Hi all!

I've already asked this in the Ant and Tomcat User lists, but no one
could give me a reasonable answer.

When deploying, that is using the Ant Tomcat 4.1 <deploy> task, the web
app war file is copied to
$CATALINA_HOME/work/standalone/localhost/manager. Furthermore, an
directory containing *only* Java platform files (classes and jars) is
automatically expanded in
$CATALINA_HOME/work/standalone/localhost/<context>. Note that there are
no html's, jsp's, images or anything there. I can also delete this
directory and the web app still works.

I had expected the whole web app to be in the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps dir
or in a context subdir. Why is the web app deployed to the Tomcat work
directory, which, according to the Tomcat docs at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/README.txt , is a
"Scratch directory used by Tomcat for holding temporary files and
directories"...???

I don't like this behavior. Is it, because I'm essentially using the
Manager web app, which itself is just a web app, and thus places
anything into its scratch dir?

I'd like my web app to be in the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps dir in some
way... How is that done?

Another question I have is with the install task:
Where are the application files really? In the automatically expanded
directory $CATALINA_HOME/work/standalone/localhost/<context>, there are
only Java platform files, no html or jsp's. But the index.html is
found... Where is it?

Thanks for helping!

Karsten

Re: Deploys to "wrong" directory...

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
The updated HTML web application manager available in Tomcat 4.1.24 can
install a web application into your webapps directory.  This is not
available as an ant task, only via the HTML Manager.

Regards,

Glenn