Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2009/01/20 16:21:55 UTC

New committers (was: Apache Licenses)

Hi Anne,

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Anne Kathrine Petteroe
<yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...is there anything else I need to do now?
> For instance what do I have to do to become a commiter?...

The ESME PPMC (that's currently all mentors + committers) can vote
committers in according to "voting in a new committer" at
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

Usually that happens when someone has made significant contributions
to the project here at Apache, but that's up to the PPMC to decide.
IIUC you've been involved in ESME before, so if the other committers
would like to have you as an additional committer based on that,
that's probably ok in this initial phase of Apache ESME.

Most projects discuss new committers on their private list first (that
would be esme-private for us), to allow people to express themselves
freely in private. That's not a hard rule though.

To summarize: if the current ESME committers would like to invite more
committers, let's talk about it, preferably on the private list at
first.

-Bertrand

Re: New committers (was: Apache Licenses)

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.
+1

Anne is the one who started the whole ESME concept almost a year ago.  I'd
be shocked and saddened if she weren't a committer.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp

Re: New committers (was: Apache Licenses)

Posted by Mrinal Wadhwa <mr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Vassil Dichev <vd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Considering the effort put by Anne into ESME and the fact that she was
> one of the presenters in DemoJam alongside Richard Hirsch, I'd have no
> reservations recommending/voting for her....

Note that any ESME PPMC members (that's all committers and mentors
currently) can start a vote...as a mentor, I don't want to interfere
too much ;-)

See http://markmail.org/message/623lxa4bn6jsrdui for an example
committer vote (note the [VOTE] subject marker), and the official
instructions are at http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html,
"Voting in a new committer". Note the dual-voting in this case, as the
ESME PPMC is under responsibility of the Incubator PMC it's the latter
who holds the official vote for committership. That slows down things
a bit but is usually not an issue, and if 3 mentors who are Incubator
PMC mentors vote +1 here it's really only a formality.

As I said, most project hold such votes on the PPMC private mailing
list, but as everybody seems to agree in this case the vote can take
place here if you prefer.

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@gmail.com>.