Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Yaakov Chaikin <ya...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/08 18:04:33 UTC

Logs of property changes

Hi,

I noticed looking at the logs that the revision numbers get skipped
once in a while. After trying things out, I realized that these must
be file/dir property changes. However, even if I use the command-line
and commit property changes (even with comments), they are not showing
up in the log. In fact, even if I do svn log -rSomeNumber that doesn't
show up in the log, it still doesn't show me that log.

How do I get at the log for the property changes?

Thanks,
Yaakov.

Re: Logs of property changes

Posted by Yaakov Chaikin <ya...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all the answers.

Yaakov.

Re: Logs of property changes

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Logs of property changes

Posted by Yaakov Chaikin <ya...@gmail.com>.

Re: Logs of property changes

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Logs of property changes

Posted by Yaakov Chaikin <ya...@gmail.com>.
I think your other email was right on the money, although I haven't
tested it for myself yet.

Re: Logs of property changes

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Logs of property changes

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 8, 2006, at 23:13, Yaakov Chaikin wrote:

> On 2/8/06, Royce Fessenden <rf...@dmp.com> wrote:
>> Property changes are not logged!
>
> Yet, updating a property does increment the revision number.
>
>> (That's why the ability to edit log
>> messages is disabled by default.)
>
> Well, I did succeed in logging change of a property and it did show up
> in the logs. You are saying that property changes do no require a log
> message by default, but I can provide one if I want? Just wanted to
> make sure I understand what you are stating.

There are two different kinds of properties.

There are the properties that apply to files and directories, like
svn:keywords, svn:eol-style, svn:executable and so forth. You change
these in a working copy, and then commit the change, which creates a
new revision just like any other change in a working copy.

The other kind of properties are revision properties, which are
things like the date of a commit, its author, the log message, and so
forth. These are also called unversioned properties, because they
apply directly to a revision, meaning if you were to change them,
this wouldn't cause a new revision to be created; rather, the
property of the existing revision would be overwritten, and the
previous values would be lost forever. (They are not versioned like
the rest of the things in your repository are.) For this reason, the
ability to change revision properties is turned off by default, and
if you want to enable this ability for some reason (like letting
people fix typos in commit messages after the fact) you need to
install a pre-revprop-change hook to allow it. You're also advised in
this case to log the change somewhere, for example by sending an
email to your development group.

Yaakov was talking about ththe first type of property in his original
posting; Royce is talking about the second.

Re: Logs of property changes

Posted by Yaakov Chaikin <ya...@gmail.com>.
On 2/8/06, Royce Fessenden <rf...@dmp.com> wrote:
> Property changes are not logged!

Yet, updating a property does increment the revision number.

> (That's why the ability to edit log
> messages is disabled by default.)

Well, I did succeed in logging change of a property and it did show up
in the logs. You are saying that property changes do no require a log
message by default, but I can provide one if I want? Just wanted to
make sure I understand what you are stating.

> The revisions numbers are shared across an entire repository. i.e. All
> folders, branches, tags, etc.  The missing numbers are most likely from
> changes to something that is not related to the folder you are looking at.

I see. Now it makes more sense... I'll have to check this out.

Yaakov.