Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Jens v. Pilgrim" <je...@jevopi.de> on 2002/04/10 15:19:44 UTC

infinity character and PDF

Hello,

  I've found a little bug in the PDF generator (or is it me - couldn't
be ;-) ).

   The infinity character (Unicode: &#8734; , HTML: &infin; ) is
rendered correctly by the AWT and Print renderers, but incorrectly by
the PDF renderer. In other words, this character is not written
correctly to PDF documents (I've got a '#' there).

  Is this really a bug of the PDF renderer or is it a problem of the
character sets. All applications (FOP, Acrobat) are running on the same computer,
that is all fonts are present.

Best regards,
  Jens

Re[2]: infinity character and PDF

Posted by "Jens v. Pilgrim" <je...@jevopi.de>.
Hello J.Pietschmann,

Wednesday, April 10, 2002, 10:09:36 PM, J.Pietschmann wrote:

JP> Jens v. Pilgrim wrote:
>>    The infinity character (Unicode: &#8734; , HTML: &infin; ) is
>> rendered correctly by the AWT and Print renderers, but incorrectly by
>> the PDF renderer...(I've got a '#' there).

JP> Try <fo:inline font-family="Symbol">&#8734;</fo:inline>
[..]

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
 Jens

Re: infinity character and PDF

Posted by "Peter S. Housel" <ho...@acm.org>.
"J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Jens v. Pilgrim wrote:
> >    The infinity character (Unicode: &#8734; , HTML: &infin; ) is
> > rendered correctly by the AWT and Print renderers, but incorrectly by
> > the PDF renderer...(I've got a '#' there).
>
> Try <fo:inline font-family="Symbol">&#8734;</fo:inline>
>
> I think it's a problem with the character mapping tables. By
> default, FOP uses only a few standard fonts defined by Adobe
> for PDF generation, it does not use any Unicode fonts. If you
> get a "#", check in which font the glyph is and change to it.

The XSL spec allows the "font-family" to be a comma-separated list of font
families, and for the processor to choose the appropriate font for each
character when a "font-selection-strategy" of "character-by-character" is
given.  Unfortunately neither FOP nor XEP support the
"font-selection-strategy" property, so it is necessary to explicitly use
fo:inline to change the font for special characters.

Another alternative is to embed a TTF font that includes all of the
characters you need.

The docs/examples/fo/fonts.fo file lists all of the characters supported by
each of the default fonts in their standard encodings.

Cheers,
-Peter S. Housel-   housel@acm.org

Re: infinity character and PDF

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jens v. Pilgrim wrote:
>    The infinity character (Unicode: &#8734; , HTML: &infin; ) is
> rendered correctly by the AWT and Print renderers, but incorrectly by
> the PDF renderer...(I've got a '#' there).

Try <fo:inline font-family="Symbol">&#8734;</fo:inline>

I think it's a problem with the character mapping tables. By
default, FOP uses only a few standard fonts defined by Adobe
for PDF generation, it does not use any Unicode fonts. If you
get a "#", check in which font the glyph is and change to it.

J.Pietschmann