Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Eric Olson <eg...@alum.mit.edu> on 2002/02/01 20:12:28 UTC

SSL support in HttpClient and WebDAV client

Hi,

I've been through the 9/2001 thread on SSL support in Slide, but I still
can't make it work.  Looking for advice.

I've verified that my Slide server works with SSL by testing it through a
browser to https://localhost and through Windows Explorer to the same
address.  WebDAV and Slide are working fine on the server side.

But on the client side it doesn't work.

I have initialized JSSE as follows (with debugging, I see it initialize):

System.setProperty("javax.net.debug", "ssl,handshake,data,trustmanager");
System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs",
"com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol");
Security.addProvider(new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider());

Then I attempt to instantiate a WebdavResource as follows:

WebdavResource webdavResource = new WebdavResource("https://localhost");

This results in an IOException that originates on line 835 of
HttpClient.java (from v1.0.16).

I've also tried this using slide-webdavclient.jar and commons-httpclient.jar
from the 1/31/2002 nightly build.  This time, line 867 of HttpClient.java
throws an IOException with a null message.

If anyone's gotten the WebDAV client to work over SSL, please help.

Thank you,

Eric Olson