Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/17 22:00:43 UTC

C++ DAS

Hi All

   I'd like to hear from C++ team and the comunity in general about the need
for a C++ implementation of DAS..
   Could you guys elaborate about this ?

Luciano Resende
SOA Opensource - Apache Tuscany

Re: C++ DAS

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 8/17/06, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
>    I'd like to hear from C++ team and the comunity in general about the
> need
> for a C++ implementation of DAS..
>    Could you guys elaborate about this ?

> Luciano Resende
> SOA Opensource - Apache Tuscany

Hi Luciano

Mmm, difficult one. We don't have any specific driving requirement at the
moment AFAIK.

PHP SDO is implemented on top of Tuscany C++ SDO but adds a relational DAS
because C++ SDO doesn't provide one. PHP needs the relational DAS because
PHP people do relational access a lot. It's tempting to say that is a
motivation for building a C++ DAS, i.e. so we can replace the PHP
implementation. The downside of that is though that at present we are making
use of the PHP PDO technology inside our DAS which allows us to provide
feedback into that community effort. It's also the part of the PHP SDO
implementation that is most accessible to PHP people because it''s written
in PHP. The upside would be that we could make consisntent the way that the
relational DASs represent their results as data objects. I have noticed some
differences between PHP and Java for example which could do with sorting out
at some point.

On balance then I'd say that the PHP angle doesn't make a C++ DAS a high
priority but an interesting option in the future. We would most likely take
a look at it if there was another motivation for including it in C++.

Having said all this. If there is someone who really wants to have a go at
making one then why not.

Regards

Simon